1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The upcoming AJC list

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Moderator1, Apr 10, 2009.

1. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

I have seen the "unofficial" version so I'm not going to post it - yet - because it may change.
    But do stay tuned. Rather interesting. And long. Looks like they got a bunch of buyouts, so layoffs will be limited.

2. Shifty Squid

Shifty Squid Member

So many names rattling through my head as possibilities. I can already tell this list is going to make my stomach hurt.

3. ondeadline

ondeadline Well-Known Member

I heard that 78 applied for buyouts, but they wanted 90 positions eliminated.

4. Moderator1

That about matches up with the list I saw, od, but I don't think the numbers are quite that high.
    I'll post it as soon as I find out it is official.

5. Fredrick

Fredrick Well-Known Member

It's almost worth it to take buyouts these days. If you don't you may get nothing when they show you the door. At least buyouts gives you a kickstart on what you are going to do next.

6. ondeadline

ondeadline Well-Known Member

Are the packages given to buyout takers that much better than for people laid off?

7. Moderator1

Varies greatly from place to place. I've been buyout offers that suck and some that will make your head spin. I've seen severance packages that suck and some that will make your head spin.

8. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I don't know why the AJC even bothers anymore.

9. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Honestly, why do most places bother anymore? There's been so much slashing and burning, it's getting to the point of "What's the point?"

10. Matt1735

Matt1735 Well-Known Member

According to Creative Loafing, here's the list...

http://blogs.creativeloafing.com/freshloaf/2009/04/13/ajc-buyout-list-official/

At least two huge sports names:

Thrashers writer Mike Knobler
    Columnist Terence Moore

11. Shifty Squid

Shifty Squid Member

Also, Derrick Mahone. Was a long-time preps guy but was unceremoniously booted out to cover cops/courts in Cobb County last year. Great guy.

I was right. Reading that list makes my stomach hurt. Ugh.

I had originally posted some rumors I'd heard here, but I've decided against it until I have it better verified. We've got enough terrible news coming out of the AJC camp without incorrect stuff getting out there.

12. Drip

Drip Active Member

Clark Freeman, an outstanding desk man has called it quits. This business and the AJC must truly be fucked now.
    Moore should have a nice buyout package.

Draft saved Draft deleted