1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The "Up Sell"

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Sly, Mar 24, 2007.

1. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Hey, I got a really sweet Cactus League blanket at spring training last year through one of those. (And yes, I filled out bogus info. 8))

2. John

John Well-Known Member

Whenever I'm asked for my phone number, I give the automated time and temperature number from my hometown.

3. Cadet

Cadet Guest

Whenever they ask for my phone number, I say no. And the clerk usually looks like a deer in headlights, because they don't know what to do next.

The latest one that bugs me: having to put in your zip code at the pay-at-the-pump. And if it doesn't match the one on your billing address, the pump doesn't work.

4. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

That's to protect you, in some small way, from card theft. Having had cards stolen, I will do whatever it takes to help prevent that.

5. Cadet

Cadet Guest

I guess it just bothers me to know that the gas pump has and can verify my credit card information in about 15 seconds. Is that information being transmitted for the viewing pleasure of the ex-con inside?

6. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Moddy I can't believe that you would buy into the bank party line. It has little to do with us and more to do with protecting bank and oil company interests.

7. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

No - never gets inside the station.
    But, if a thief has your card, he probably has your zip code as well. Those swipe and go joints are a problem and I try to avoid them if possible.

Draft saved Draft deleted