1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The "Up Sell"

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Sly, Mar 24, 2007.

1. 21

21 Well-Known Member

It made sense this morning when Boom started it--then it got moved and stuff got lost and poor Sly is wondering why he ever registered here at all.

Here's the gist--You go into the bank to get some cash, they ask you if you are happy with your mortgage rate. You go into the 7-11 for coffee, they ask if you want a pastry or lottery tickets with that. You go into Sports Authority to buy socks, paying with cash, they want your address. Why do they need your address? For 'marketing opportunities.' Boom tells the clerk 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue, the clerk asks for the zip code.

Then some gremlins got into the thread and everything got weird. Still looking for the thread on The Band, if anyone finds it behind the sofa cushion or under the floor mat in the car.

2. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Still have no clue about that one.

3. Gold

Gold Active Member

21: I think the zip code for 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue is 20515.

4. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Well, too late now, we had to go to Target for the socks.

5. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Sly - I have no idea what you are talking about.

6. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

When I worked at Crack Barrel, we were constantly being told to increase our transaction percentage, or the percentage of transactions in which at least one retail item was purchased. Reason -- it made the retail manager look good. Didn't do a damn thing for the bottom line that matters (mine), so fuck it. As a cashier, all I can really do is sell the impulse buy items on the counter, and oddly enough, people who don't want licorice aren't going to want it any more because you asked them to buy a package while it's staring them in the face. Besides, isn't harassing the guest (never call 'em customers at the Barrel) counterproductive to enhancing guest service? You'd think.

Could be worse, though. Could be the passive-aggressive Barnes and Noble clerks asking you for your member rewards card (PROTIP: If I had a fucking member rewards card, I wouldn't need you to ask me for it because it'd already be out). Could also be the department store whores asking if you want to sign up for a 25.9% store credit card. But you get 10 percent off your first purchase! Yeah, I got your 10 percent right down here.

7. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Exactly - the rewards cards are the height of annoyance. Buy a million dollars of pills with us this year and we'll give your 20 cents and a bunch of worthless coupons. We'll also sell your address to a bunch of list companies so that your are inundated with junk mail.

You hit on the word - HARRASMENT

I tell the clerks that I have no room left in my wallet but that I would be happy to wait list them if spot opens up.

8. audreyld

audreyld Guest

I worked at Walgreen's once, and had to encourage people to buy crispy Butterfingers or reusable disposable cameras.

Both were an easy sell in the end, the candy bars because they were really cheap and the cameras because they seem like a good deal.

But I hate selling and was completely miserable there. The easiest upsell in the world is "Would you like fries and a drink with that?".

9. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Barnes and Noble membership card is gold if you shop there a lot, which I do.
    The rest of it you can keep.
    And no one has ever asked me to buy anything else in a Cracker Barrel. Of course, I haven't been in one for about four years.

10. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

If you went to the one where I worked, believe me, you would have been sold hard. And the saddest part was we were selling picayune -- the product of the month would be something like Jelly Belly bags or Yankee Candle car fresheners, pure impluse buy shit. Even if I managed to sell something to every person who gave me their check, I don't think I'd add more than 50, 75 bucks to the bottom line.

I go to B&N enough to make a card worth my while. I just hate the indirect way they try to get you to sign up. If you're going to sell it, just sell it already. If I wanted someone to go the back door route, ***INSERT FAVORITE BOOTS JOKE HERE***

11. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Agreed. I finally broke down and got the Barnes and Noble membership in Jan. and it has nearly paid for itself already. Plus, I don't have to put up with them trying to sell me one any more. :)

12. Flip Wilson

Flip Wilson Well-Known Member

Worst sales gig I ever had I did for one day, and one day only. I was working part time for the local minor league team, and was stuck near the entrance gate hawking free t-shirts. The catch? They had to fill out an application for a Discover card. Most people, of course, would put down a bunch of bogus information just to get the freebie. But then I was supposed to ask to see their drivers license to verify what they wrote down. Most of them just walked away, and I can't blame them.

That job really sucked; I hate credit cards and hated these people were willing to apply for one for a lousy free shirt.

Draft saved Draft deleted