1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Untouchables

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by SoSueMe, Jun 24, 2007.

1. mediaguy

mediaguy Well-Known Member

One of my all-time favorites. I don't know if I like Connery better, except maybe in Goldfinger. Garcia, it was all downhill from there.
    Costner, to Nitti on the way down: "Did he sound anything like that?"

2. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

I've never been a big fan of DePalma because he insists on satirizing in the subtext. The movie is one maudlin, manipulative setup after another.

3. Birdscribe

Birdscribe Active Member

Details, details. ;)

BTW, the scene with Capone and the baseball bat? Actually happened, where he beat the crap out of two of his (formerly) most trusted killers: John Scalise and Albert Anselmi at a banquet. They were the two who engineered the handshake murder of Dion O'Banion in 1924 that accelerated the Chicago North vs. South Side gang wars of the '20s

I know way too much about this stuff.

4. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

Impressive.

I am still trying to figure out what "latter" could be referencing in that post.

5. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Good score by Ennio Morricone.

6. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Interesting tidbit on the famous train station scene - DePalma planned for something else (I'm pretty sure it involved an actual train) but the studio nixed it because he was way over budget so he ended up improvising that scene. I believe it was shot at Grand Central Terminal in New York.

7. Duane Postum

Duane Postum Member

The baby carriage going down the steps.

8. redmnm2

redmnm2 New Member

Interesting tidbit on the famous train station scene - DePalma planned for something else (I'm pretty sure it involved an actual train) but the studio nixed it because he was way over budget so he ended up improvising that scene. I believe it was shot at Grand Central Terminal in New York.

Actually, the stroller scene was shot in Chicago's Union Station.

9. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Mel Gibson and Harrison Ford turned down the role of Eliot Ness before Kevin Costner was signed.

10. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Sean Connery

11. boots

boots New Member

Harrison Ford could've pulled it off. I think Mel was wise not to take the role. People would've compared him to the Lethal Weapons character he portrayed.

12. markvid

markvid Guest

One of my stupid habits...
    On takeoff on a charter, since I can use my Ipod, I play the end title..
    Don't know why, seems like good takeoff music to me.

Draft saved Draft deleted