1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Untouchables

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by SoSueMe, Jun 24, 2007.

1. SoSueMe

SoSueMe Active Member

Is on CityTV up here in Canada.

It's one of my favourite movies.

Connery is awesome in this.

I almost cry every time he dies.

2. Birdscribe

Birdscribe Active Member

This was the first date with the future Mrs. Birdscribe. Love this movie, except the part where Charlie Martin Smith and Connery die.

Of course, that's redeemed by Costner (as Eliot Ness) throwing Frank Nitti off the roof and crashing into the parked car, then telling the inquiring Andy Garcia "He's in the car."

Phenomenal cinematography, especially in the train station.

3. David Mamet script as well. This one gets a yearly viewing as part of the "Dammit, Mamet" festival.

4. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Some nice set pieces . . . especially the shootout on the bridge at the Canadian border . . . but
    Costner looks more and more wooden, every time I peek at it . . .

5. Duane Postum

Duane Postum Member

No more wooden than Robert Stack in the tv series. And Eliot Ness was actually a party animal.

6. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

They send one of your people to the hospital, you send one of theirs to the MORGUE. THAT's the ChiCAGo way.

7. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

I'll be impressed if someone here can identify the film to which the latter was an homage of sorts by De Palma.

8. SoSueMe

SoSueMe Active Member

He has so many great lines and scenes in the movie.

Let's cut the woofing, pal. You tell me, or you're going to hospital or the fuckin' morgue!

lsn't that just like a wop? Brings a knife to a gun fight. Get out of here, ya dago bastard!

9. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

The Battleship Potemkin. Sergei Eisenstein.

10. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

I absolutely hate this movie.

11. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Of course, Nitti shot himself in late NINETEENFORTYTHREE, for pete's sake. . . but don't let that spoil the story, boys . . .

12. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

In particular, the staircase scene with the stroller. Classic in both cases.

Draft saved Draft deleted