1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The United States Of Torture

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Fenian_Bastard, Nov 4, 2007.

1. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

Removing that growth along with our civil liberties, our faith in government, the respect of our international peers, our children's futurity ...

Pass the Freedom Fries.

2. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Sounds typical...you're giving a pass to the cowards who put on civilian clothes, hide among women and children, and commit their terroist acts, knowing that retaliation (if it does come ... which frequently is doesn't precisely because we don't target civilians as a rule, as they do) will kill some of those women and children.

And like I give two shits what Van Halen thinks about policy.

3. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

We're not perfect. Never have been. But we're certainly better than they are. We don't target civilians as a policy. We don't hide our solidiers, in civilian clotches, among civilians.
    You hate this country that much, to make a statement like the last sentence of your post. Fine. If the U.S. sucks that bad, move to the Middle East, where you will be forced a gunpoint to convert to Islam. Or move to Cuba, where high school kids were arrested yesterday for the simple act of wearing a rubber bracelet with the word "change" on it.
    There are many, many countries where those last seven words of your post would get you arrested.
    But feel free to continue to enjoy our freedoms ... and bash this country.

4. andyouare?

andyouare? Guest

Or...you could move to a country where no one questions the President and you don't have to listen to any dissent or anyone question anything that you don't believe in.

A country where the government is always right. Where they don't have to worry about liberal wussy civil liberties or freedom of speech badmouthing the people in charge.

A country where everyone looks alike, talks alike and thinks alike.

I hear North Korea and Pakistan are nice this time of year.

5. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

I thought you were talking about our buddies the Pakistanis.

6. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

This is the most depressing thread in the history of SJ.

Burn an American flag, in essence, a piece of cloth despite its symbolic value, and you get frothing at the mouth and proposed amendments flying through the halls of Congress.

But when the subject turns to waterboarding and torture, we have to break into discussion groups and seemy denials.

Figuratively, our flag has already been burnt to a crisp.

7. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Bubbler,

The difference is the flag is an innocent piece of cloth.

The terrorists we torture are guilty of unspeakable crimes. Or at least have had the bad fortune of being available when our government was willing to pay sketchy people $5,000 a head to round up folks who either were terrorists or looked a lot like one.

So, see, you can't really compare the patriotism angle.

Plus, torture gives the chickenhawks sexual release.

8. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Hondo actually pulled the "America, love it or leave it" mantra out of his ass. Wow.

And Hondo, tell all those innocent civilians who were victims of the U.S. policy of rendition how "great" the U.S. is.

Personally, I think the U.S. government does less harm when they're on the lookout for smuggled shopping carts.

9. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Don't sweat it. You can just keep your scrawny ass north of the border.

10. D-Backs Hack

D-Backs Hack Guest

Good to see that you glossed right over the Sac Bee link and mention of what we did in Central America. It's clear that yes, you couldn't give two shits that it was done in your name. But I sure as hell care that it was done in mine.

But go ahead, keep waving your flag insisting that when we unjustifiably maim and kill, it's somehow different than when other nations and cultures do it, because, Oh My God, they might make our women wear burqas!

Thank heavens that your line of reasoning is not shared by those crafting our military policy.

Oh, wait, it is.

How's that working out, by the way?

11. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

So, so sad.

12. spnited

spnited Active Member

What is, TBF?

Draft saved Draft deleted