1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The United States Of Torture

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Fenian_Bastard, Nov 4, 2007.

1. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Our own worst enemy has come to town.

2. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

We're better than they are. Stoop to their level and what have we accomplished?

3. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

As I said, there has never been a war fought in which civilians weren't caught in the crossfire. While it's horrible it's also unavoidable.

Saying that accidental civilian deaths in Iraq prove we've "stooped to their level" is horseshit of the highest order.

4. spnited

spnited Active Member

Maybe we really aren't better than they are.
    We like to think we are. We like to say we are.
    But the conduct of the current administration and the number of people who still support our Moron in Chief and his band of war criminals seems to indicate we might not be any better than they are.

5. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

Spnited, maybe it's my youthful idealism speaking, but I believe as a people, we're better than the terrorists. An inept administration doesn't change that. At least, I hope it doesn't change it.

6. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

But for all the ho-ha about waterboarding, it's been three times, and none since 2003.

7. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

and as someone posted earlier, let us know when Americans are hijacking planes full of civilians and flying them into buildings.

8. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

Never said anything about "stooping."

What I will say, though, is that trying to draw some sort of meaningful moral distinction in Iraq between them killing us and us killing them is a hopeless exercise.

Remember, we were never attacked by Iraq. We invaded them.

And further, to the point of the thread, if this country has to debate the morality of torture - even for a moment - we've already lost what we sought to preserve.

9. ATLienCP

ATLienCP Member

Three times too many if the number is true. Consider the source damage control by limited admission is not unlikely.

I fail to see the "ho-ha" as there have been no investigations or charges brought. Democrats in congress give some lip service and raise their hands in supposed indignation but Mukasy will still get confirmed and our government will continue to torture.

10. Beaker

Beaker Active Member

Mukasey will be more committed to torture and overthrowing the rule of law than Gonzales was.

11. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Since we have bombs and missiles and stuff, we really don't need to do that if we want to blow something up, though, do we?

12. andyouare?

andyouare? Guest

"Anyone who knows what waterboarding is could not be unsure. It is a horrible torture technique used by Pol Pot and being used on Buddhist monks as we speak. People who have worn the uniform and had the experience know that this is a terrible and odious practice and should never be condoned in the U.S. We are a better nation than that," - Senator John McCain.

Liberal hippie terrorist lover.

Draft saved Draft deleted