1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The United States Of Torture

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Fenian_Bastard, Nov 4, 2007.

1. ATLienCP

ATLienCP Member

What constitutes us losing? Another terrorist attack? That is inevitable.

The only way for us to lose is by our surrender of that which defines us. Al-Qeada does not have a massive invasion fleet off our shores. They can kill some of us from time to time but Americans have been dying for our values since the founding of our country and I will be damned to just sit back and watch the cowardly throw away all that our patriots have fought and died for in the name of fear.

Terrorism is a tactic not an ideology and its effectiveness is proportional to the response it generates.

2. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

I'm not sure how your "suicide" distinction somehow inoculates us against the killing of civilians.

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2007/10/25/60minutes/main3411230.shtml?source=mostpop_story

In fact, 60 Minutes was surprised to hear this: while the enemy has killed hundreds of civilians this year, a similar number of civilians have been killed by American forces.

3. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

Just wondering, does anybody think Al-Qeada looks at this discussion of whether or not torture is OK as a sign of weakness or that we're not willing to do whatever it takes to defeat them?

4. markvid

markvid Guest

And why were they killed?
    Because the cowards purposely hide out in churches, hospitals, homes, etc.
    Fuck 'em. Civilians die? Too bad. Gotta get rid of the cancer, it's just unfortunate a few nearby cells get taken out, too.

5. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Do you not think suicide bombers use this exact same logic?

6. markvid

markvid Guest

And another group that uses religion as a cover to kill.

7. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

Yes. It worked so beautifully for us in Vietnam.

8. markvid

markvid Guest

Too bad.
    Would you ever see our military use women and children as shields?
    Bet not.

9. Chuck~Taylor

Chuck~Taylor Active Member

True, but what difference does it make if they(talking about us) end up killing them anyways?

10. markvid

markvid Guest

Do I even need to answer that?

11. Chuck~Taylor

Chuck~Taylor Active Member

I'm talking about us.

12. RedSmithClone

RedSmithClone Active Member

Tell that to Jack!

Draft saved Draft deleted