1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Unheralded Birth Of The Furlough

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by IowaScribe, Jun 25, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SnarkShark

SnarkShark Well-Known Member

That's the way I would talk to you face to face if I were editing that story.

I've read several stories over the past 10-15 years about furloughs in many different industries across the country - papers I've worked for (and ones I haven't), school districts, the fucking sequester, etc. I'm not sure why those have flown under your radar.

My comment was glib because this is a message board. Glib is pretty standard on message boards. If you didn't want feedback (negative or not), I'd suggest not trying to publicize your piece on message boards.

2. rascalface

rascalface Member

Furloughs are tough on everybody. Didn't seem like such a terrible option when we all got dinged for 5 percent pay cuts at my last shop. That way, the company gets the cost savings and nobody misses work! Plus it lowers your future earning potential, not that there wasn't already a pay freeze in effect. And not to mention the death of the company pension plan and a (albeit temporary) freeze on 401K contributions. Still better than riding the layoff train (and I've been there, too). Good times.

3. IowaScribe

IowaScribe New Member

If that's really the way you would talk while editing a piece, you would not have a job for very long, nor would you have any remaining teeth. Nor would you be deserving of a job or teeth.

Dropping an unnecessary F-bomb tends to discredit any intelligent information you might have to offer. In this case, there is none, so no harm done -- but in the future you might actually say something intelligent, so please keep that in mind.

4. SnarkShark

SnarkShark Well-Known Member

I'd lose my job after you knocked my teeth out?.I'm pretty sure using a curse word in a newsroom isn't really a fireable offense.

You were in a newsroom how long and you're this taken aback by expletives? And you covered sports?

How were you able to survive without furrowing your brow with righteous indignation when a coach or player said something naughty?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.