1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The "under the bus" article, and future implications

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by TopOfTheCircle, Oct 13, 2016.

1. I have read numerous stories about the inner workings and inner conflicts within sports teams, whether they are amateur or professional.

The conflict stories can sometimes be in the form of, "Growing sentiment in the (insert name of team here) locker room indicates that (insert implication here)." The sources would often be unnamed players or one very outspoken player who speaks ill of either a coach or a subset of the team. At other times, the player was named.

I've written one of the latter stories in my life, the star striker of a soccer team criticizing the coach for a lack of professionalism. (She was right; the coach was little more than a caretaker who owned a local Motel 6. But such was a colorful story from the days of the USISL.)

Have you written one of these stories where a player throws the rest of his/her team under the bus? Do these stories have long-term implications for the players who instigate the story or the coach who is the target?

Draft saved Draft deleted