1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Undefeated debuts

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Songbird, May 17, 2016.

1. JC

JC Well-Known Member

He was also drunk

2. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

I've read two stories at the site, one about Marvel movies and the RG3 story.

The Marvel piece brought absolutely nothing new to the table for me, but I'm very well-versed in that universe. The RG3 story felt, to me, like a very good, well-reported and straightforward story where - every 500 words or so - an editor said "drop some racial context in right here."

I'm optimistic, though, because I know one of the people behind the scenes quite well. If it can be done - and there will be endless discussions here and elsewhere about what "it" is - then this group will do it.

Said the same about "The National" and "Grantland," BTW.

3. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

4. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

OMG, Songbird...you and I have entirely different tastes. Columns like that are total garbage to me. It's so lazy...I'd like to hear if Foxworth believes he did no work to earn such a platform.

But I'm enjoying the site. I root for projects like this...better for all of us.

5. Songbird

Quarterbacks and pitchers win games all by themselves. And koala bacon is real.

6. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Winners win

7. Songbird

8. Songbird

Then there's this little gem where Cleveland is all of a sudden a hellhole.

Nas’ latest movie

9. Dave Kindred

Dave Kindred Member

I'm with Elliotte on that "fairy-tale mythology" column. Sports doesn't promote the myth; lazy media promote the myth. (And, btw, what did that column have to do with "the intersection of race, sports, and culture"?)

Mister413 likes this.
  10. Songbird

Which is what he wrote.

That fact aside, sports fans and media will spin a fairy-talelike mythology around a select few players, as if they have absolute control of the outcome of a game.

Can't address your question. Maybe it was in the cul-de-sac of race, sports, and culture.

11. Songbird

Already seems yawn'y. Very little updating the last 3-4 days. The scroller is busted on most pages after you read a main story (pages get stuck).

Worse, you have this beautifully reported first-person essay by Jesse Washington way down the list of buttons instead of being the first thing people see on the page.

If Merida wants his intro on the front page, sticky it elsewhere but bumping Jesse so far down is a disservice to that essay.

Screen shot 2016-05-23 at 7.25.25 AM.png

Screen shot 2016-05-23 at 7.25.19 AM.png

12. Songbird

Draft saved Draft deleted