1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Undefeated debuts

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Songbird, May 17, 2016.

1. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Need to scrap the rap anthem.

Be real, be righteous, be relevant

They would have been so much better off getting someone like Wise Intelligent or KRS-1, even Chuck D or MC Lyte.

THIS is storytelling:

2. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

That's fair.

I'm slightly disappointed that the story does not include any extended mention of the Marshawn Lynch movie fiasco.

3. Songbird

That's not what I'm implying, and I think you know that.

It should be pleasing to ANYone who wants to read good writing.

Last edited: May 17, 2016
  4. Earthman

Earthman Well-Known Member

Yesterday's NYT had something similar on Trump

5. Earthman

Earthman Well-Known Member

Sounds like Lynch and Donald Trump have a lot in common.

6. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

That's fine, but it brings to mind why major studios don't create that many major film vehicles for black actors in relation to black-centric topics: the target audience is not that big.

7. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

I need to get out more. I think I've heard of about three of those writers -- and couldn't pick any out of a lineup.

8. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

You have nothing for which to apologize. Most of people reading The Undefeated will likely be white dudes, and it's a white dude who brought it to the board to praise the ending.

I disagree that the word "dope" can't be used, for it most certainly can, and almost everyone knows what it means. Didn't bother me in the slightest. I did find the "allpro" designation weird, though.

9. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

I have been thinking about this. You're right. 44 yo white guy married for 20 years is not who they're looking to attract, regardless of the fact that I still have my Public Enemy CDs.

However ... Does that mean those of us in that demographic are free to ignore it? I'm not saying I will as a matter of principle, the Lynch story looks really interesting and I'll read it tonight. But in the larger sense, if those who aren't in the demographic are excused -- and this goes especially for those who aren't in the demographic but control advertising dollars -- then what is the site's role in starting conversations, and more importantly what is the business model?

With espnW, you hear complaints that coverage is marginalized because it isn't part of "real" ESPN. So is the idea here with The Undefeated to say, So what? Or is the idea to have some crossover appeal? Or is the idea that ESPN has so much money that this can be a vanity project to replace Grantland?

I gotta say, if it's that last one, the goings-on of the last few months there in terms of budget are not a good sign.

10. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

I know a lot about what The Undefeated will be judged on, and traffic is not one of those things. Whether you capture the audience you're trying for, and whether you're authentic to that audience, is going to matter a great deal more in terms of how the money people view it. Overall traffic won't matter. No one gets this, but that's all people know, so that's all they're write. Just watch.

11. Songbird

It's not that I hate the usage of that word. I just hated it there. Misplaced. Forced.

12. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

Good, I'm glad traffic won't matter. Traffic is often too important, when it often just reflects what's popular in the moment and not reflective of where we can and should go as a culture.

Draft saved Draft deleted