1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The uncomfortable office Christmas present....

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by farmerjerome, Nov 13, 2006.

1. farmerjerome

farmerjerome Active Member

So, I've been at my new job for about eight months now.

It's full-time retail, so I'm wondering if I should buy my boss an coworkers anything. We're having a Christmas party with a Chinese Auction.

I'm thinking of just getting them some chocolates.

Any one in the same boat (except for the whole retail thing of course)?

2. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Isn't a Chinese auction the Deal or No Deal of Christmases? It's fun, don't worry about it!

3. Cadet

Cadet Guest

Ask a co-worker who was there last year what the tradition/policy is. I got burned one year when I didn't ask.

4. The Basement

The Basement Member

i thought it was when you bid on something, you had to run out one exit and then re-enter the other before bidding again?

5. BYH

BYH Active Member

Very well done. :D

6. Flash

Flash Guest

What is Chinese auction? Everybody gets home-baked cookies and a tree decoration from me.

7. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

A donation has been made in your name to the Human Fund.
    The Human Fund: Money for people.

8. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

Axl Rose's long-awaited Chinese Democracy release for everyone!

9. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

10. Crimson Tide

Crimson Tide Member

Last year, the former desk editor gave me a Spongebob Squarepants watch he got at Burger King as a way to persuade me to give up reporting and work on the desk (they lost a few people in a short amount of time).

I declined. He quit without anything lined up and wound up bartending.

11. office xmas gifts are never easy....not sure how large your team is, but i usually just buy enough choclate for everyone and put it in a communal place where they can all pick at it....

the gift says i'm too lazy too think of anything special, but everyone loves chocolate right? plus i'll usually take my team out to get drunk after work (which i seem to do every few weeks anyway).....

12. farmerjerome

farmerjerome Active Member

Chinese auctions are when everyone brings a present, then pulls a number out of a hat.

You can either keep your present, for steal someone elses with an earlier number.

Draft saved Draft deleted