1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The UFL is a week away

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by spikechiquet, Oct 1, 2009.

1. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Yeah, but that's real professional basketball. Even if the Magic stink, the opposition might be great, so you go.

Haven't heard of one thing that would make me pay for a UFL ticket right now, even if they were playing across the street.

2. playthrough

I try to correct my mistakes when possible...

http://www.lasvegassun.com/blogs/sports/2009/oct/07/betting-lines-set-ufl-openers/

I'm astonished. Didn't think bookies could come up with enough information to set lines on a new, fledgling league. Or that they'd care. On one hand I'd think it would be really easy to get a couple players on the take and fix a game, yet on the other hand I doubt a Vegas book is going to accept any serious action on these games. $5k on the Giants? Sure. $5k on the Sentinels? You're raising a lot of eyebrows.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  3. Drip

Drip Active Member

Rule of thumb. EVERYTHING sports related can be betted on in Vegas.

4. playthrough

That's absolutely not true. You won't find odds on the Olympics. Or the NFL Draft. I'm not sure the WNBA has regular odds (though maybe a resident or regular visitor can clarify). Not IndyCar racing.

Online, that's different. But Vegas is pretty meat-and-potatoes when it comes to sports betting: the major sports, major-championship golf, Nascar. I'm just really surprised they'd take action on an untested football league.

5. Drip

Drip Active Member

NEARLY EVERYTHING.
    I like to correct my mistakes too.

Draft saved Draft deleted