1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The UFL is a week away

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by spikechiquet, Oct 1, 2009.

1. leo1

leo1 Active Member

every startup league in every sport in the last 25 years has used this logic. it never works. bush league franchises, other than a few niche ones like the new-ish minor league baseball teams, are just background noise in an over-saturated market. just because there are theoretically 2-3 million people who might jump onto the UFL bandwagon doesn't mean they will. if they cared about football at all, they would care about the giants or jets

2. Drip

Drip Active Member

Does anyone remember the NY-NJ Knights of the World League of American Football?

3. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

I do. I had a London Monarchs hat.

4. Drip

Drip Active Member

London beat the Knights in the playoffs.

5. Dave Caldwell

Dave Caldwell New Member

I remember doing a story about a guy who was trying out for the New York-New Jersey Hitmen of the XFL, which, I believe, followed the New Jersey Generals of the USFL and the NY-NJ Knights of the WLAF.

I'd really love for someone to explain how the UFL will be any different. The New York team, I learned from looking at a billboard on the turnpike the other day, will be called the Sentinels and will be coached by Ted Cottrell. Advertising has been almost non-existent. The economy is terrible. Who would go to a game?

I've been watching Showtime's fascinating series on the AFL (which was produced, incidentally, by NFL Films). It seems to me that, had Sonny Werblin not been around to pull Joe Namath to the Jets for $400,000 a year, the AFL might not have made it, either.

6. Blitz

Blitz Active Member

While prefacing, up-front, for certain, cross my heart, that I've never talked to a player or coach about point spreads:

I enjoy the hell out of occasionally betting on sports.
    Being in Las Vegas or inside a bookie hall on game day is one sure form of pure excitement.
    For me.

7. Drip

Drip Active Member

You are so right. To this day, Bubba Smith swears that the Jets win was fixed.

8. ThomsonONE

ThomsonONE Member

Bubba needs to get over it. The Colts choked, plain and simple. If he thinks the game was fixed, he should say what Colts players he thinks participated.

9. Drip

Drip Active Member

Earl Edwin Morrall. a 6-1, 205 - pound quarterback for starters.

10. BrianMcDowell

BrianMcDowell Member

Well, there ARE people that live in Vegas, and would probably like to see some live football.
    I'm not saying this league is a good idea. History suggests that it's a terrible idea.
    However, a team in a tourist town doesn't need to necessarily be in the most tourist-y area to be successful. Just look at the Orlando Magic. I don't believe they play that geographically close to Disney....

11. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

And the Vegas team won't play near anyone. No close freeway access. No commercial area nearby.

12. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Bout 10-15 minutes away, if that.

Draft saved Draft deleted