1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The U-Wire Top 100 Young Journalists

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Moderator1, May 21, 2008.

1. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

I don't have a problem with the list. It's nice to put on a resume, but it's the clips that get people jobs. Does it matter that you're nationally recongized? No, since you really need to impress your own bosses and potential ones.

So all of those cub reporters left out of the list, you're not puppy chow or you're worthless. Some of the best reporters out there may not even get recognition from their own school.

Signed,
    Someone not on the list

2. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

He is not, unless I missed him. Another former SJ poster of considerable youth is on there.

3. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

I echo Stitch's thoughts. Being among U-Wire's Top 100 Young Journalists isn't going to get you employment at my shop. It's not even the thing that's going to get your foot in the door for an interview.

Your clips are what draw my attention first. The other stuff is just window dressing. If you have all the awards in the world but your clips suck, you're not getting the time of day. If you don't win a single award but your clips blow me away, I'm calling you in.

4. lantaur

lantaur Well-Known Member

Thanks for the suggestion, Leo, but I'll pass. And I'll continue posting, and more than likely they'll be more informed and educated than your post(s).

Best,

Some guy whose name is Lantaur

p.s. Sorry you f'd up the editing of that page.

5. Moderator1

HEY- why don't you go chisel your ass??

Sorry, I'll behave now. ))):>(

6. trench

trench Member

Nick Zaccardi can't report his way out of a paper bag. The last time I saw him, he was covering and cheering for his former high school at the same time.

7. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

To those jumping down Leo's throat, it's a freaking quote from The Office. Chill.

8. Diabeetus

Diabeetus Active Member

Nope.

9. Moderator1

You know, I thought it was really out of character for Leo.
    But I've never seen The Office. Tell him to use Seinfeld if he wants me to get his jokes.

And I checked again, Simon is not on that list.

10. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

I don't watch The Office, nor do I give a shit about quotes from The Office.

11. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

It was actually a hilarious joke, and I can't believe people took it seriously. The whoever vs. whomever exchange was one of the best moments of The Office this season.

12. Moderator1

I'll take your word for it. But if you've NEVER seen The Office *** I do have Arrested Development on DVD, though, if that'll put me back on the cool list.

Draft saved Draft deleted