1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The U-Wire Top 100 Young Journalists

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Moderator1, May 21, 2008.

1. Greenhaus70

Greenhaus70 New Member

Quite possibly the stupidest list ever assembled.

2. Barsuk

Barsuk Active Member

Guess who got left off the list ...

3. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Yep - if I remained in the biz, I would have the list printed. I know a few of those kids and they're really good. I suspect most of the rest of them are, too.

4. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

Geez. Why?

Again, what's wrong with honoring people coming up in this business, a business that NEEDS new faces like this coming along and not being scared off by the way things are right now.

5. lantaur

lantaur Well-Known Member

Whomever edited this shouldn't be on the UWIRE top 100 editors ... there are two Ryan Furlongs (one should be Ryan Knutson).

Nice resume addition for all those youngsters.

6. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

You might see this as a useful hiring tool, and that's fine. But take the perspective of someone younger, and someone who has experienced some of the praise first hand: It creates far too much navel gazing and backslapping among younger journalists. A lot of people, I will sadly include myself in this group, end up writing stories for one another instead of for readers. They obsess about that next job, about getting praise from their peers, about getting starfucked on SportsJournalists.com, instead of learning how to write and getting better by understanding and growing from criticism. It's the same reason that making a list of the best 5th graders on the AAU circut is a foolish idea. I know far too many young journalists who are obsessed with one another, and these lists, and threads about who is a young effing stud, are the reason they receive more praise, and more criticism, than I think is healthy. I know talented writers who think they're a failure because no one in the industry sings their praises on SJ, and I know talented writers who think the opposite because they are showered with love. A young and crazy talented friend of mine told me recently, "If it were up to me, my name would never come up on SJ again." It's a distraction to doing good journalism. And as much as I wish I was not, I've been infected with that disease too.

7. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

Well, as they often say at this point, I guess we'll have to agree to disagree. I understand the pitfalls you're describing, but I don't think that's a good reason to just stop recognizing people. For all the negatives, there's also encouragement, both of this batch and those coming behind them, in the recognition.

8. Leo Mazzone

Leo Mazzone Member

No one asked you anything ever, so whomever's name is Lantaur, why don't you take a letter opener and stick it into your skull.

9. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

Boy, that escalated quickly

10. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Well, Leo's out of a job since the O's let him go so he's a little bitter.

11. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Um ... I'm pretty sure he is.

12. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

No one HAS to ask for an opinion on a message board. Unless you're sending a PM to someone, you invite comment from the rest of SportsJournalists.com by posting a thread.

So, in other words, Moddy indirectly asked lantaur's opinion by posting this thread.

Draft saved Draft deleted