1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The U in trouble -- again

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by MileHigh, Aug 16, 2011.

1. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

DD,

I was thinking about that. How many stories has Robinson worked on this year -- the Kansas ticket thing, Ohio State, this? Am I missing anything? It seems like this particular story was incredibly intensive, and yet he will still able to finish two other investigations.

Do the NCAA compliance people do as much work?

2. Knighthawk

Knighthawk Member

This is going to be the death penalty. It's the perfect setup for the NCAA to use it - a big scandal involving a lot of big-name players at a renegade school that, and this is the important part, isn't all that good anymore. They've averaged 8-5 since they joined the ACC.

The NCAA is as dirty as the schools, but they'll use this as a chance to make themselves look like Wyatt Earp cleaning up Dodge City.

3. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

A five-year bowl and TV ban might as well be the death penalty.

They're probably already in deep shit right as this very moment. I'd say the majority of recruits for 2012 will be bailing by the end of the week. Then you'll have a wave of fringe players on the team ask for their walking papers. Then the suspensions.

It will be a team in shambles IF they decide to play ball this season.

4. Roscablo

Roscablo Well-Known Member

I've wondered about that too. I mean, it's called the death penalty for a reason. What did they think was going to happen to SMU?

It seems like it might be pretty justified in this case.

5. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

SMU originally was only banned for a year, and would have been able to field a team with a limited schedule and scholarships the second year, but they chose to sit out the second year as well. SMU also got hammered because they were originally on probation when they got busted again, and had lied to the NCAA during the investigations.

There's several reasons about why the NCAA won't use the death penalty. For one thing, naturally, money. SMU is a small private school that had a very good run as a new football power before getting caught. Ohio State is a traditional power. Secondly, I'd think the NCAA doesn't want to get too harsh for fear that if enough schools get pissed off, they'll bolt.

Oh, and Donna Shalala. She's now one of the directors for Gannett. Any surprise?

6. Johnny Chase

Johnny Chase Member

I know people have mentioned it, but my favorite part was when he checked into hotels as Teddy Dupay.

7. Turtle Wexler

Turtle Wexler Member

That's assuming tattoos were the extent of the problem. And that's highly unlikely.

8. Traveling

Traveling Member

If Charles Robinson or Dan Wetzel ever spend more than 48 hours in my current city of operation, I'm just gonna resign and spare myself the indignity of having a national outlet beat me on a story that's sitting right under my nose.

9. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

As of Tuesday, Miami had the No. 5 class in the country according to Rivals (23 commits, 18 from Florida). But only one top 100 kid (79th overall).

10. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

There's no way they're handing out TV bans any more. They'll give out a death penalty before they ban a school from TV. No. 1, it would piss off the advertisers/TV partners. No. 2, it would piss off the opposing schools. How are FSU fans going to feel when they can't watch FSU-Miami because the Canes have a TV ban? (Assuming that's the way it works, and I assume it is.)

And maybe, just maybe, the fact that Miami was doing all this cheating and still sucked indicates that they weren't the only ones cheating ...

11. jlee

jlee Well-Known Member

Er, um ... from the New Times story you linked:

So if it matters to you who wrote "the original story," it wasn't the New Times. But hey, it had some great detail and was a phenomenal follow-up.

12. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

Assuming that only half of this stuff is true, the NCAA is full of fail if it doesn't shut down the program.

Draft saved Draft deleted