1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The U could be in trouble again

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by KYSportsWriter, Jul 21, 2012.

1. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

But coincidentally has deep roots to Penn State so maybe he is not a good guy after all.

2. Drip

Drip Active Member

Such a stupid statement. It doesn't deserve a response.

3. Boom_70

Hey it was not long ago that people were responding to Joe Paterno statements like that.

Sorry but at this point my default mode is to view anyone who has been associated with Penn State Football in a skeptical manner.

4. jackfinarelli

jackfinarelli Well-Known Member

This is collateral damage from the "Sandusky Affair". I did not read all of the Freeh Report but I did read about 80% of it onlline. Nowhere do I recall any aspersions being cast on Al Golden as a malefactor. But since he was there, he gets painted with the same tar brush as the REAL malefactors.

I need more evidence before I conclude that Al Golden might not be a good guy...

5. Drip

Drip Active Member

It's called stereotyping and it's wrong.

6. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

Really not looking to re-open this debate, but again, still missing the point. The death penalty was appropriate in a case like SMU (and arguably here) because it actually accomplished something of real deterrent value (stopping ongoing cheating after all other means had been exhausted) that would not have been achieved in the PSU case.

It's not necessarily about the severity of the offense, but instead the appropriate remedy for the specific harm. In the PSU case there was no ongoing molestation to stop, so it made more sense to clobber them with a massive financial penalty (of a sum greater than they what they would've lost with a one year death penalty) in a way where it could actually do some good, along with other sanctions attacking the legacy and ability to compete.

I don't believe Miami will or should get the DP, but just pointing out that the "if Penn. St. didn't get it nobody should" reasoning (which I'm sure we'll hear from now on) is fundamentally flawed shallow thinking.

7. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

Isn't that what you just did?

8. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

Have you bought your Washington State sweatshirt yet?

9. Drip

Drip Active Member

Did I?

10. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

Why do you think Miami shouldn't get the death penalty? They have the same scenario setup as SMU did for receiving it.

11. Boom_70

I bought a hat.

12. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Miami won't get what Penn State got. But their honchos have got to be pissing themselves tonight with the prospects of what might happen.

Draft saved Draft deleted