1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The U-bomb

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Nov 22, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

I've only heard "uppity" used publicly as a pejorative to refer to racial minorities, women or children acting in ways that the user of the word found to be out of line. I wouldn't say it's strictly racial, but I would agree that it's a pejorative.

2. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I honestly don't read any of those.

3. Dick Whitman

It's kind of in the air, so let me make very clear that defining "uppity" in this way is not some liberal invention. Clarence Thomas used it in his confirmation hearings, saying that liberals were engaging in a "high-tech lynching of uppity blacks."

YF: Yes, he knew what he was doing. That doesn't justify it. If I'm a prep sports reporter, I could call a high school football player the n-word on Twitter, right? Hey, I'm just trying to get attention. Don't give me what I want.

You "suppose" he shouldn't have said it? He shouldn't have said it. Period. Why is it so hard to say that? The Roots playing a sexist song about Michele Bachmann is just misdirection. And I'm not ready to shed a tear for Bachmann, who go all kind of mileage about her accusation of "mistreatment" by CBS last week in the debate.

4. bydesign77

bydesign77 Active Member

I'm from north carolina, grew up in georgia, and have never heard uppity used in any manner suggesting racism.

Basically, I think you've got your panties all twisted.

Oh, shit, is that sexist? Um, I mean, you've got your undergarments........

5. Dick Whitman

Yeah, we made it up.

I'm going to come back to this thread in a few hours. I'm holding out hope that one board conservative, just one, makes an unqualified statement that Rush should not have used the word about Michelle Obama.

I won't be holding my breath.

6. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

I was born, grew up and spent most of my 20s and 30s in the Carolinas, and while I can't recall actually hearing "uppity" used that way, by my teens I was well aware that that word's quintessential usage implied a person of African descent who did not know his/her "place."

As a fat white guy with a thick southern accent, I would never use that word in any context simply because I'd rather not be misunderstood. That reason alone -- the risk of harming the political movement he ostensibly supports -- should have been enough for Limbaugh to not have chosen that word re: the First Lady.

7. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

He's just an entertainer!

8. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

I'd ask the doubters and defenders this: is there any other context in which the word "uppity" is ever actually used?

9. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

If you have a black co-worker, go up and call them uppity. Attach a copy of your pink slip in your reply.

10. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

I didn't mean "you". I meant that I was surprised the Times was covering this.

And, yes, to be clear, uppity has racial overtones. Could you use it in reference to a white person? Sure. But 99% of the time it's used the context is racial.

11. Mystery Meat II

Mystery Meat II Well-Known Member

Rush should not have called Michelle Obama uppity.

The Black Keys should not have used music to imply that Michele Bachmann is a lying ass bitch.

Ben Harper should not have covered Michelle by the Beatles.

And Michelle Beadle is adorable.

There, that should cover it.

12. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

And, Michele Bachmann should spell her first name the standard way, and should at least consider dropping the second "n" in her last name.

Either that, or Huntsman should ad a second "n".

Drives me crazy.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.