1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The two teams playing in the BCS National Championship will be …

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Matt1735, Nov 18, 2012.

1. Matt1735

Matt1735 Well-Known Member

The BCS has been thrown into chaos. Still a number of meaningful games to go:

So if you had to make the call today as to who will (not should) play in the game. Who will it be in Miami?

My pick: Notre Dame (will beat USC) vs. Georgia (will beat GaTech and Bama).

Who is your pick?

2. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Alabama vs. Notre Dame. (Was said here two weeks ago.)

The two teams who have won the most national titles in NCAA history (D-I).

3. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Notre Dame and Florida (which has beaten 4 Top 10 teams and a 5th looms with the Seminoles, then a 6th in the SEC title game).

4. Matt1735

Xan, as a Florida grad and fanboy, I wish it could be true, but it won't happen for several reasons:

Georgia is already locked into the SEC title game.
    Florida may not get past FSU if they don't get the offense figured out ASAP, and they haven't all year.
    Florida's last two wins vs. Cupcake (blocked punt to win) and Twinkie (27-0) don't pass the smell test. And late season stale cupcakes are never good.

5. Songbird

They Cupcake and Twinkie were desserts for a formidable appetizer and 6-course dinner.

6. Songbird

And to that end, Alabama has Cupcake (Western Ky), Twinkie (Fla. Atlantic) AND Suzie-Q (Western Carolina).

Georgia's glutenous sked includes Buffalo, Fla. Atlantic and Georgia Southern.

LSU: North Texas, Idaho, Towson.

SEC should be ashamed of itself.

7. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

Ohio State: Miami (not that one), UCF, UAB, Cal.
    Oregon: Arkansas State, Fresno State, Tennessee Tech.

You really wanna do this? Because no one comes out of it looking particularly good. There are very few top-flight schools that are scheduling worth a shit any more. You're lucky if you get one BCS non-conference game. Such as, you know, Alabama-Michigan. Or Florida-Florida State.

8. Matt1735

I disagree with that statement and always have. I don't think any conference asks teams to play a more rugged schedule year-in and year-out.

Using Florida and Georgia as examples, they also add a marquee non-conference opponent to their schedule at the end of every season.

Not many teams would survive the gauntlet that is the SEC schedule year in and year out. Hell, only one team has survived it's conference schedule as unbeaten and it's not eligible for the BCS.

Alabama lost to TAMU not because TAMU was better (although Manziel is great) but Bama played TAMU on the third week of the Miss St.-LSU-TAMU gauntlet. Same with Florida, lost at the end of LSU-South Carolina-Georgia.

Oregon lost in the middle of it's three-game stretch (USC-Stanford-Oregon St) and may lose again this week. Put any team into these marquee conferences and see them survive the week-in, week-out rigors.

I don't mind the SEC teams playing host to pastries. Those games are good for the economics of the athletic department and the conference schedule provides enough of a test.

9. Songbird

Yes, it's everywhere, but the SEC's is more comical because it's *THE* conference.

And Fresno State is not to be scoffed at. Pat Hill had bigger balls than any other coach scheduling-wise outside of Boise's coach the last 6-7 years. Hill was 112-80 and went to 11 bowls.

The other teams, though? Chocodiles material.

10. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

It is interesting to think what the rankings would look like if the SEC added a ninth conference game and dumped the late-season scrimmages vs. FCS schools. I'm thinking it would make a big difference.

I give credit to Bama and LSU - they typically schedule at least one decent team and will play on the road. Florida defends itself by playing FSU every year.

11. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Songbird, did you read the thread title? It's not who you want to be in the title game. If you think Florida gets in ahead of the SEC champion, you should be ashamed of yourself.

12. Songbird

UCLA had Nebraska and Texas and Houston (can't help that Houston graduated a few studly classes).

USC had Syracuse, Hawaii and now Notre Dame (annual).

Both of them go on the road for big non-con games. I give LSU and Georgia a ton of credit for going to Washington and Arizona State and the like the last few years. Alabama did the Penn State thing. Would be nice to see Florida try to prove itself somewhere outside of a 100-mile radius for the first time in 21 years.

Draft saved Draft deleted