1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

the two sides to Marvin Harrison

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by JC, Jan 14, 2009.

1. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Intersting article on Harrison.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espnmag/story?id=3827402

2. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Image is everything.

3. Trouser_Buddah

Trouser_Buddah Active Member

I loved the last line.

4. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

I'll put the over/under on his HOF acceptance speech at 6 seconds.

5. Has a living inductee ever not given a speech? If they all have, I could easily see Harrison being the first not to even show up in Canton for induction.

6. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

Interesting stuff, although I'm wondering if those stories haven't been exaggerated a bit. Harrison caught on the Meadowlands Jumbotron choking a Jets ball boy just gets brushed aside by the media and authorities? That hardly seems possible to me. Anyone here know more about that incident?

And, if the evidence really is as that story portrays, then I've sure got to question that prosecutor's reluctance to go forward. You've got ballistic evidence proving the shots were fired from Harrison's gun, undisputed evidence that he was fighting with Dixon right before he was shot, and witness testimony that Harrison had a gun during the fight and was pursuing Dixon's car as he drove away after being shot. That's not enough evidence to file charges? What more does she need? Something doesn't smell right there.

7. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

http://videos.espn.com/m/video/21734786/legal_fallout_for_marvin_harrison.htm

8. DirtyDeeds

DirtyDeeds Guest

It is good stuff, and I thought the same thing about the Meadowlands incident and the shhoting. If he was nearly arrested, as stated, before a Jets game, it would have made the papers, I'd think. And there must not have been many people in the stadium. I also get that these witnesses to the shooting are of questionable character, but it seems like there is enough to file charges and leave it up to a jury to decide.

9. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

Apparently that is her basis for declining to file, and that would make perfect sense to me if those witnesses were all she had. But that ain't the case. Even if those guys are lying scumbags, indeed even if you didn't have that witness testimony at all, there's still two rather enormous pieces of evidence that nobody, not even Harrison, disputes: 1) the bullets came from Harrison's gun; 2) Harrison was fighting with Dixon right before he was shot. That alone creates a mountainous hurdle for a defense attorney to overcome--to essentially convince a jury that it was just a coincidence that this guy was fighting with Harrison then a moment later was shot by some unknown different person with a gun that just happened, for some odd reason, to belong to Harrison.

10. Hammer Pants

Hammer Pants Active Member

Funny how rich people with good lawyers find themselves in such fortunate positions...

11. DirtyDeeds

DirtyDeeds Guest

I agree. See above for the true reason he isn't facing charges (though he still could).

12. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

What a dick. He shot a guy. Attacked a ball boy. Makes him worse than Plax.

Draft saved Draft deleted