1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The TV thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Versatile, Mar 28, 2013.

1. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

You lookin' for comedy, drama, anything...?

"Home Economics" starts back up this week. Topher Grace is the "name" attached to the show, but it's a good 30-minute ensemble comedy. Not reinventing the wheel or anything, but my wife and I enjoy it.

"Big Sky" starts season two soon as well. Season one was pulpy and kind of stupid, but in a fun way, and it has enough twists to stay interesting. ABC. If your cable is like mine, the first season is probably available On Demand. (Same would apply for "Home Economics.")

"What We Do in the Shadows" is on season three, FX. It's friggin' hilarious - think "Best in Show" or "This Is Spinal Tap," but, about vampires living on Staten Island.

I haven't seen it yet, but "Reservation Dogs" on FX is supposed to be excellent. Comedy with dramatic elements, I believe.

If you have HBO, pretty much all of their recent slate of shows have been well-regarded - "Hacks," "Mare," etc.

2. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

I also really like Bob Hearts Abishola on CBS which comes back soon and at least on my TV, the earlier seasons are free.

3. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

Finishing up "Lucifer" and then a Ryan Kesler feature hits the group pages. Ryan Kesler is Lucifer (actor Tom Ellis). I bet there are a lot of other hockey players who thought so.

kesler.png ellislucifer.jpeg

OscarMadison likes this.
  4. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I finished Lucifer a few days ago. The final season was much like those that preceded it. There are plenty of things that don't make sense, but it was still a fun watch. The animated bit was funny. I appreciate it even more after discovering that they used the animators from Harley Quinn. Brianna Hildenbrand was a nice addition to the cast, though there was definitely a good bit of her character from the Deadpool movies in the performance. I like the ending, though I imagine it would get some eye rolls, and one character's absence from a key scene was very distracting.

5. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

The heist episode plus the return of the painful Gina character was a bad way to end for me.

6. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

How much would they have had to dig to find a short scene with Phyllis, Lou and Murray? I realize Phyllis was the neighbor, but they were always at Mary's place. Or have Lou grumble something about "awards season" on Lou Grant.

7. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

The WKRP fan pages that I frequent were of course none too happy with this.

8. Wenders

Wenders Well-Known Member

I've also been trying to watch Hacks. A lot of good TV out there, especially on HBO Max.

The Crown season that was up was the Princess Diana one. It was very well done, but honestly surprised that Emma Corrin didn't win for her portrayal of Diana. She was flawless. But obviously, a lot of voters vote what they know - and they know The Crown.

The most difficult categories to choose were the Lead Actress categories. Comedy Lead Actress was between Jean Smart, Kaley Cuoco, Allison Janney, Aidy Bryant and Tracee Ellis-Ross. Limited Series Lead Actress was Kate Winslet, Cynthia Erivo, Elizabeth Olson, Anna Taylor-Joy and Michaela Coel.

Also, the In Memoriam...holy hell, there were a lot of big big names in that segment. Also, I totally missed this spring when Helen McCrory (who was originally cast as Bellatrix and then played Narcissa Malfoy in the Harry Potter movies) passed from cancer.

sgreenwell likes this.
  9. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

What We Do in the Shadows is so great. I've been a big fan of Matt Berry for years. And the way the female vampire says "Colinrobinson" always makes me laugh.

OscarMadison, Dyno and sgreenwell like this.
  10. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

It's one of those shows that my wife has zero interest in, so I have to watch it in three or four episode chunks on the rare weekends that she's busy and I'm not. This past week, I was also sick from work one day, so I managed to finish out season one - vampire council and orgy episodes - as well as half of season two (Jackie Daytona). Just some great stuff. I've got the S3 episodes piling up to watch this coming weekend or next.

OscarMadison and garrow like this.
  11. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

"This how we talk in Tucson, Ari-zon-ia"

Classic.

sgreenwell likes this.
  12. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

The Guillermo storyline is my favorite part of the show. My SIL got me on it and it's been enjoyable.

garrow likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted