1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The TV thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Versatile, Mar 28, 2013.

1. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

This is ALL we watch. Seriously.

Tighthead likes this.
  2. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Once again, I can't recommend Pluto TV highly enough. And it does not hurt that it doesn't cost a cent.

It's got about 200 obscure channels, and you'll become enamored with 5-10 of them. One channel is just IFC comedy -- Portlandia, Baroness Von Sketch, Documentary Now, etc. They have 24/7 channels for single shows, like Happy Days, Beverly Hillbillies, Carol Burnett, etc. A dedicated MST3K channel. One channel with just '80s music videos; another with '70s videos, etc.

There's even a channel called Slow.TV, which is essentially virtual train rides through European backwoods.

The interface is not bad; the only problem with the app is, with a Smart TV, you can't easily go from Pluto to another service. You need to exit completely.

BitterYoungMatador2 likes this.
  3. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

One of my favorite episodes of The White Shadow as a kid was the "Shower of Power" episode. Alas, I now realize I forked over for all the episodes I could buy on DVD but that ep wasn't included because of rights issues pertaining to the song clearances. Still glad I bought the DVDs. Don't know if the show is streaming anywhere. Can't Stop Carver. (I still can't remember what the school mascot was - though I do remember the ep where the autistic kid came out as a peanut. The couldn't have been the Carver Peanuts? Really? Even calling them the Goobers wouldn't fly. I really don't think it was ever made clear.

4. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Anybody watch the Netflix sketch comedy show I Think You Should Leave w/ Tim Robinson?
    Its an acquired taste, but I have really come to like it.

5. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

I checked out an episode, but to be honest, I thought Tim Robinson was painfully unfunny on SNL and it's affected how I look at him since.

6. poindexter

My wife checked out after one episode. I stuck around and there are some funny skits. Each episode is 20 minutes and there are 4 or so skits each episode, so it wasn't a big time committment.

I've watched this one the last couple days and have laughed more and more each time. Its so bizarre but it kills me.

7. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

"I Think You Should Leave" seems like the kind of show I would enjoy, but that my wife would absolutely hate, so it's on an ever-growing list of things to watch when I'm solo TV'ing, ha. Like, she's not super into comic book stuff, but "Loki" and "Wandavision" are easier sells than "MST3K" or "Comedy Bang Bang" or anything kind of alt-comedy.

8. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

The one where they sang “Under the Boardwalk”?

9. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Among their greatest hits. I always figured it was later in the run - but the episode featured Jackson and Reese.

10. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

The celebrity jazz game sketch is priceless.

11. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

The first episode of the White Shadow is the captain of the starting five first episodes in history.

The audacity of the writing, the setting, the actors, the acting, the emotion. Couldn't replicate it all if you tried.

qtlaw likes this.
  12. poindexter

Funny. That may be my second favorite.

garrow likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted