1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The TV thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Versatile, Mar 28, 2013.

1. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

I really enjoyed Men of a Certain Age; maybe because my buddies and I were approaching that age right then. Well done. Was sad to see it stop.

OscarMadison likes this.
  2. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

Can’t turn off Hulu-kid
    Can’t turn off Sling, Disney+, HBOMax-me
    Can’t turn off Netflix-wife

Will never not have Amazon Prime.

Will buy a new Apple product at least once a year.

Neutral Corner likes this.
  3. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I don't miss Hulu, but I will whenever they start running new episodes of The Orville. Damn you, Seth MacFarlane.

OscarMadison and MTM like this.
  4. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I hooked up CBS/Paramount for the Super Bowl but will drop it once I'm up to date with The Good Wife. Amazon Prime has some good stuff, plus access to some other shows you can get for free. Haven't dived in to Disney, though I should hook it up with Hulu. Apple is too new. I can catch up on HBO shows during a free weekend. Netflix oddly enough is still the best place to get hard to find movies.

5. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

We pay for Netflix, but Peacock is a freebie (included with Comcast) and so is Hulu (included with wife's cell phone plan). We "borrow" Disney Plus from a friend, but I think we're going to end up paying for it at some point - so much good stuff. We also "borrow" Amazon TV, but I wouldn't feel compelled to pay for it.

6. Wenders

Wenders Well-Known Member

I would drop Hulu, but I actually have TWO subscriptions to it: bundled with my Spotify Premium (will never not have) and then bundled with Disney+ and ESPN+. If I wasn't a fan of a Big 12 team that constantly is on ESPN+, I would just have a simple Disney+ subscription.

Otherwise:
    Netflix
    Amazon Prime (this is the one I would dump first, but that sweet sweet shipping)
    YouTube TV

My friend lets me piggy-back on his epic Plex server and his HBO Max. I have an Apple+ free preview that I got with a new iPhone, and it will probably go bye-bye when it's up, with me finding another way to watch Ted Lasso.

sgreenwell likes this.
  7. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Disney Plus goes up a buck a month on Friday, so I upgraded to the bundle.

8. OscarMadison

OscarMadison Well-Known Member

My intentions are good. I hear about great television. Do I watch those shows? Years later I will. Television has become comfort food for the brain. I understand why so many people who were probably way too young to watch The Office when it first aired or even when it was a cable rerun mainstay stream a handful of episodes every night. It's comfortable and familiar.

I'm more inclined to buy boxed sets of what I'll watch without having to figure out where it's streaming. Maybe this is a function of being 1.) old 2.)an artist and an anthropologist who studies/d material culture. That might explain a preference for a physical artifact of the media I want to keep.

9. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

I have a jailbroke Firestick, which pretty much gets me every TV show or movie imaginable. Plus I work at a library so I can get a DVD of just about anything else.

And I find myself frozen on what to watch.

I have a list of movies and shows recommended from various places. I just scroll through it and decide none of it looks good. I scroll through the popular recommendations on my Firestick and keep thinking I can find something better. I've still got a couple Ted Lassos to go, shoulda knocked that out long ago.

OscarMadison likes this.
  10. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Superstore ended its six-year run last night. Sweet and satisfying ending. No one should be surprised by anything.

11. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

Our son’s iPhone died and he needed a new one. It came with a free year of Apple TV and he suggested that we watch Ted Lasso.*

My wife and I really liked it. Unfortunately, there’s only one season. The show has been given the green light for al least two more seasons, but that might be a while due to the pandemic.

*Trigger warning: The show does have screens that depict soccer, but only the minimum amount necessary to advance plot lines.

Wenders, OscarMadison and Tighthead like this.
  12. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

I don't know who it was however many pages back that recommended "Gomorrah" on Disney Plus. Italian series on a mafia family, either in Italian subtitled or dubbed in English. Stylish, well written, casted, and acted, plenty of "damn, I didn't see that coming" plot twists. Violent as hell without being overly gory. I'm up to season two ep nine and going strong.

Whoever you were, thanks. Great show I doubt I would have heard of, let alone watched.

Scout likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted