1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The TV thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Versatile, Mar 28, 2013.

1. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Lucy and Ethel were rescued from the freezer.

2. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

Never found it. I shouldn’t say it completely sucked — but it completely sucked and was at least three episodes too long.

3. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Watched the new Superman and Lois show on CW. I'd give it about a B.
    The special effects are great for a weekly teevee series (I imagine that may taper off after the first few episodes), and the storyline is ok so far, even if somewhat predictable.
    Of particular interest to our readership group here, Lois and Clark are dealing with the corporate takeover of the Daily Planet, abrupt layoffs, the erosion of journalism vs click pandering, the prospect of working remotely from home, corporate manipulation of the local labor market in a depressed rural area hit hard by the collapse of farming and local industry, and even last minute transfers of highly touted HS football recruits causing friction among the town kids.
    Bitsy Tulloch is pretty good as Lois -- good looking but not a world class knockout, and able to project the super-driven type A personality: assertive just on the inner edge of being obnoxious and pushy. Tyler Hoechlin (the little kid in "Road To Perdition" along with Tom Hanks and Paul Newman) is very good as Clark. He plays Clark as quiet and reserved, not a stumbling bumbler a-la Chris Reeve.
    Some have complained that Hoechlin looks unimpressive as Superman, well he looks basically like a guy with a generally ok athletic build (something about 6-1, 190 or so) who doesn't do a lot of heavy lifting. I've always thought it was ridiculous to think Superman would be some ripped-to-the-moon 6-3 295 pound muscle-busting monster as some of the comics artists depict him. He'd probably look like your normal kinda lightweight office worker, since hoisting battleships is supposed to be like lifting a cupcake for him.
    The twist is that now L&C have (fraternal) twin sons, supposedly 14-year-old HS freshmen although they look about 20. One is a clean-cut junior jock supposedly set to start at QB as a freshman for national HS powerhouse Metropolis Prep. The other is a shaggy haired emo kid who spends a lot of time moping around the house. Of course it's a major suspense point whether either or both of them will inherit Dad's superpowers, although there are some early hints.
    Lois's military-general dad, depicted as anywhere from overbearing to obnoxious to vicious in most other versions, is here as well, but from early indications they're gonna make him gruff and tough but mainly a good guy.
    They're solving the "continuity" problems by setting the show in the wake of some dimension-bending "infinite crisis" event where many many different earths got mixed up and some destroyed. So the Luthor we see here (and we do see him in the first episode) is not the Luthor who's supposed to be there. Although this show is a semi-spinoff of the Supergirl show, there are no references to that show in the first two episodes.
    It'll be interesting to see what they do with the show, as noted they have a lot of plot options in addition to teenage romance drama (although there'll be plenty of that too, it looks like).

4. Songbird

Spoilers !!!1!!11

5. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Just finished Schitt's Creek. Great call, all of you. But only six seasons? And I was expecting disaster to strike in the end?

6. Songbird

Still watching it ... but good interview. Fascinating to watch 1971 Jesse Jackson. This interview took place 3 weeks after I was born.

7. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

Yeah Eugene and Dan Levy decided to hang ‘em up after 6. Leave them wanting more kind of thing. It just sucks that it broke out of cult classic status right when they decided they were ready for other things.

OscarMadison, Wenders and HanSenSE like this.
  8. Wenders

Wenders Well-Known Member

I definitely like when show runners feel like their show has a certain shelf life and they are able to write a "final season" to go out on their own terms.

The Good Place was that way. and Ted Lasso recently announced that they are only going to do three seasons. It's better than sticking around for 8-9 seasons and having the last several be just pitiful.

(Although I will take as many seasons of Ted Lasso as they want to give me.)

OscarMadison and sgreenwell like this.
  9. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I also figure they would have had to renegotiate with the cast and I'm sure Eugene Levy and O'Hara took a big discount on the show. Now everyone involved can cash in for a bit. Come back for a mini-season in a few years.

Wenders likes this.
  10. Songbird

Hitchens was a ball buster.

11. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

Binged it in four days. Fantastic television. Riveting. Three timelines really make the show.

Even as a man, I found it incredibly relatable to my own journey.

justgladtobehere likes this.
  12. HC

HC Well-Known Member

And now they've just announced that "Kim's Convenience" is ending too, as is "Trickster". Guess I'll just have "Coroner" left on my Canadian content list.

Draft saved Draft deleted