1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The TV thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Versatile, Mar 28, 2013.

1. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I know people always complain when a new reboot of an old show is announced to be in the pipeline. And while I understand the networks who own the original figure it to be a way to gain new viewers for the old show on its streaming platforms, are there any other financial incentives? Seems like most reboots you hear about these days are of shows where the "desired audience" of younger viewers won't care if its a NEW new show or an reboot. Why not just launch a show with a similar premise?
    TV item: CBS gives pilot order to True Lies. (Why not just reboot Scarecrow and Mrs. King?)

2. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

In most cases, the network probably owns the IP. Meaning, they can tell a writer, set designers and the like, "We're doing that True Lies reboot," and the people involved know the tone and scope involved. And if you're a showrunner or mid-level executive pitching to other executives, it's easier to just say "True Lies reboot" than "spy show with married couple and one doesn't know the other is a spy."

3. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Was watching a bit of Bruins-Rangers last night on NBCSN and found it odd that Modern Family will start streaming on Peacock soon, per an ad. Is that a new thing, cross pollination of shows between network streaming services?

4. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

It's the deep state global cabal!!11!1

5. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

Looks like it wasn't owned outright by ABC. The past 10 years, the networks have moved more into only broadcasting shows they own. Before that, something like Friends might have been developed independently and offered to multiple networks, with some sort of cost-splitting.

6. DanOregon

Modern Family was a WarnerBrothers property, fwiw. Figured it would land on HBOMax. (Though hard to keep up with corporate ownership, I mean Happy Days is now a CBS show? - Paramountain!)

sgreenwell likes this.
  7. HC

HC Well-Known Member

I mostly agree but JR and I are really enjoying the remake of "All Creatures Great and Small".

OscarMadison likes this.
  8. DanOregon

9. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

10. Songbird

So after Ken Wahl left Wiseguy after Season 3, a fella by the name of Steven Bauer became the lead.

There was some potential, I suppose, but it pretty much sucked and abruptly ended after episode 9 when Billy Dee Williams decides to run for mayor.

And then it was over. No more Wiseguy. It couldn't have survived without Wahl playing Vinnie Terranova. Impossible.

So now I'm meandering from sand to glass again and looking for something on YouTube, Apple TV, or Peacock.

Saw this thing called AP Bio and clicked to see what it's about. Kind of like it so far thru the first episode. Funny and edgy ... I think.

I kind of miss Vinnie Terranova.

11. Songbird

I thought it looked familiar ... they shot AP Bio at my high school.

12. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

Some of the exteriors are from the Toledo area. I seem to recall people geeking out about a local movie theater being in a few shots.

Draft saved Draft deleted