1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The TV thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Versatile, Mar 28, 2013.

1. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

4 episodes in but found it interesting that they explicitly acknowledged the different races, as opposed to just having a multicultural cast without comment (which is recently typical).

Wenders likes this.
  2. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

This episode felt like a movie. So intense with Jerry Lewis, Ron Silver, Stanley Tucci, and Tony Denison.

3. Songbird

Behind the plate ... behind the camera ... father and son excelled.

This episode is not listed on II's wiki page: Roy Campanella II - Wikipedia

Screen Shot 2021-01-18 at 6.13.48 PM.png

4. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

Lupin on Netflix

French with subtitles. Heist series. Really damn good.

garrow likes this.
  5. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Spiral on Hulu is also French, the lead is very watchable and it's subtitled. Almost like a French Law and Order. Highly recommended. Another good one is The Tunnel - mixed French TV/BBC production with the open featuring a murder victim discovered halfway through the Chunnel.

6. HC

HC Well-Known Member

Skip The Tunnel and find the original it's based on, the Swedish/Danish "Bron" (The Bridge). You know I had to interject here based on my sig and pic. ;)

OscarMadison and Neutral Corner like this.
  7. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

"The Wilds" on Amazon - I'm four episodes in with the wife, and it's fantastic so far. Like their other shows, it's pretty clear they spent a shitload of money on the production values. Nine girls from across the country are on a flight to what's billed as a treatment center and resort near the Hawaiian islands. Each episode seems to be centered on one of the girls. Also, their plane crashes in the first episode, and the framing device of the show is two FBI agents interviewing them one-by-one about what happened. Very heavy "Lost" vibes, and some good twists by even the end of the first episode.
    It's clear the plane accident wasn't one - they were meant to crash, and to bond together in a strange sort of "out in the wilderness together" kind of way. One of the girls dies in the aftermath of the crash, except that she was a plant by the company running this operation - which makes a lot of her behavior much more clear - who's monitoring most of the island with cameras.

8. mpcincal

mpcincal Well-Known Member

Finished with "The Queen's Gambit" last night after the rave reviews on this thread. The praise was well-founded. Although I know next to nothing about chess, I was still taken in by the competition and game footage. I was impressed by the efforts to recreate the '60s era she was in. And, now I'm crushing on Ana-Taylor Joy like a teenager (or, like Harry Melnick).

Severian and sgreenwell like this.
  9. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Excited to see where Industry goes in season 2. That was really well done TV. They landed the season 1 ending damn near perfectly.

10. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

I'm not enjoying this season so far. They seemed to zap all of the fun out of the show. Last year's main plot wasn't fun, but it was told well. This season's new characters and the change in others have been a downer. And the musical numbers don't seem as organic.

11. Songbird

Was happy last night when Ray Sharkey made a final appearance in a S2 fever dream sequence.

They way Sharkey delivered lines was intoxicating. Listen to the way he draws out for-EVAHHHH.

"You were the juice for the neon lights."

12. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

We have only watched the first episode of this season and it seemed very off. Writing wasn’t near the level of the year before.

Draft saved Draft deleted