1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The TV thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Versatile, Mar 28, 2013.

1. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

No surprise with No. 1. Many will complain about Game of Thrones' ranking, but there are a lot of good shows above it. A lot of those early HBO shows apparently don't hold up well:

Every HBO Show, Ranked

2. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Watching the Charlie Brown Thanksgiving special … and Peppermint Patty is kind of a jerk.

Also, the Brown family needs to have a yard sale because they have so much crap piled up in their garage that they can’t get into their garage.

3. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Rome too low.
    The Wire was better than The Sopranos.

4. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

1, The Wire
    2, Curb

Everything else.

5. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

I don't know.

Apart from some recency bias ('Barry'), as lists go, this list is pretty good.

Everything in 21st century television drama is a footnote to 'The Sopranos.' And I say that as an avid fan of 'The Wire.'

Glad to see 'Deadwood' up there where it belongs. It's too often overlooked on lists like this. The three Davids changed television, almost all at once.

I think 'Veep' and 'Larry Sanders' and 'Curb Your Enthusiasm' are all correctly sorted. On a list made ten years from now, 'Girls' will be higher.

6. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

It should be lower. I'd rather sooner subject myself to re-watching 1st-and-10.

7. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

I don't necessarily disagree as a matter of personal taste, but 'Girls' will turn out to be an influential show. It broke a lot of ground for what could be done in a 1/2-hour format; for sexual frankness; for 'real' bodies; for creating a whole genre of disaffected-young-woman-memoir (ie 'Fleabag,' ) as a counterpoint to the fantasy glam of 'Sex and the City"; and it 'discovered' Adam Driver.

It'll be a foundational show for people writing these lists ten years from now.

lakefront likes this.
  8. Wenders

Wenders Well-Known Member

At least Marcie called Patty out on basically inviting herself and the friends over to Charlie Brown's house for Thanksgiving (not to mention demanding of a small child why there isn't a full Thanksgiving feast prepped.) Snoopy and Woodstock did the best they could, dammit, while fighting with a folding chair!

garrow, TigerVols and 2muchcoffeeman like this.
  9. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

The Flight Attendant

Kaley Cuoco is a smoke show.

Quirky show.

10. JimmyHoward33

JimmyHoward33 Well-Known Member

Succession is way too high on that list. Its been two seasons. It could well go to shit same as Thrones.

The Wire is better than Sopranos. Unless you’re arguing cultural impact or network growth, but if thats your criteria GOT cant be 12th

11. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

I watched the first three episodes and agree.

And it was fun seeing Rosie Perez again.

12. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Agree on the issue of recency bias when talking about 'Succession' and 'GoT.'

If 'The Wire' is Dickens - and it is, even by its own description - 'The Sopranos' is Shakespeare.*

Certainly 1 and 1a in the language, however you order the two.

* frankly 'Deadwood' is more Shakespearean then either, but doesn't quite make it to the summit.

JimmyHoward33 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted