1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The TV thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Versatile, Mar 28, 2013.

1. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Season 5 of Lucifer will drop on Netflix Aug. 21. Be aware that there is a huge spoiler in the trailer. I am happy the show fifth season will finally drop next month, but I'm a little annoyed that they ruined that surprise.

I had never seen the show until I binged the first four seasons earlier this year. It helped that I was home sick for a few days in February. I did very little other than sleep and watch. It's entirely possible that a few of the weirder plot elements I remember were created by the fever I had for a couple of days. :)

2. Severian

Severian Well-Known Member

Ugh. Why?

3. outofplace

Why am I annoyed? Why do I watch the show? Why did they spoil what looks like a huge part of the plot for the season? Why are they going with that storyline?

I'm just not sure which why got you to ugh. I can see all of them as valid, including questioning why people watch the show. I like it, but I can see why many wouldn't.

4. Severian

Severian Well-Known Member

Ding ding ding. Sorry. I should'be been more clear at what I was sighing about.

5. outofplace

No worries. I agree with you. Then again, I watched a video not long ago explaining how there is a school of thought about trailers that including big spoilers actually attracts casual viewers.

6. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Hollywood on Netflix is as bad as advertised. They obviously spent some bread on it, but it is such a misguided attempt to re-write history. The "real" dialogue is as bad - or worse - than the fake movie dialogue the characters say. And let's not even go into the plotting.

7. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

After seeing this post, I started it last night. Watched 4 episodes. I didn't watch the posted trailer, so I started in cold.

I like the fact that they solve the case in each 45-minute episode, haven't had any carryovers yet.

The guy is a very annoying, but I get why. Still, you hate those self-centered assholes who get whatever they want.

The cop is great, except she lets Lucifer get away with way too much, lets him push her around too much. She could be Denise Richards' little sister -- not quite as awesome, but just fine.

I want to enjoy this show, but I think it might be too redundant as I move forward, always the same plot, always the same questions.

8. outofplace

I just stumbled across the Comet channel, which I didn't know I had. They are running Battlestar Galactica, the new one, not the one from the '70s, two episodes per day. I've been sucked back into the final season. I loved that show, but sometimes it really was relentlessly dark. Time and again, you see main characters just break. They hit the point where one too many things has happened to them and they crack. Most of the time, they bounce back, but one character finally has enough and commits suicide.

9. outofplace

It evolves a bit over time and there are bigger story arcs around the murder of the week stuff. There is some depth, but it is mixed in with a lot of fluff.

The detective grows a bit as things progress. Of course, like many other shows, this is one that focus on showing us a lot of beautiful people. Lucifer's lifestyle certainly contributes to that, as does Tricia Helfer joining the cast. I forget which season that happened. I watched it all in a relatively short period of time.

ChrisLong likes this.
  10. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Mrs. America is some of the best TV I've seen in a while. Surprised it took this long for the story to be told. Never realized the role Schlafly played in bringing evangelicals and conservative women into politics with the "Pro-Family" movement. Figured it was only a matter of time before a man usurped her.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2020
  11. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

I finished McMillions on HBO. Fascinating story of the McDonald’s game fraud. They interviewed a ton of people involved but it seemed long at 6 hours. I felt there were a lot of wasted artsy shots and re-enactments.
    I’d still recommend it.

12. Wenders

Wenders Well-Known Member

It's worth watching for Doug the FBI guy. And the Mafia dude's wife.

Draft saved Draft deleted