1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The TV thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Versatile, Mar 28, 2013.

1. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

And the amount of self-promotion/house ads is off the charts. It's not only newspapers getting hit hard by canceled advertising.

2. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

Good thing Michael Bloomberg and Tom Steyer bought all their inventory in the previous months.

3. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

South Park

4. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Oddly enough 9/11 wasn't incorporated in Law and Order or Friends if I remember. There was a general uptick in "terror related" cases in L&O but it was never a focus - and I think Friends may have had the friends wearing a NYFD or NYPD hat here or there, but that's it. Say one thing for Friends - they never did "the very special episode" - West Wing's take on 9/11 was perhaps the worst ep of the series.

5. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Just finished season 3 of Ozark. OMFG!

6. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Spike Lee's "25th Hour" was the best post 9/11 movie, it captured the feeling so well. I hope he does a post CV-19 movie.

In fact, I can only wish that Michael Moore tells the story of how corrupt, inept and unprofessional the current administration was regarding this crisis.

7. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

I remember a L&O episode where -- and this might be a very loose plot outline; please correct me if I'm wrong -- the perp murdered her husband on 9/11 and then claimed he died in the towers and made a victims' fund claim.

8. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

There's a really good Criminal Intent one, hopefully I'm not mixing up the details - Cop 1 lusts after Cop 2's wife. Cop 1 kills Cop 2, using 9/11 as a cover, and marries her, and later finds out that Cop 2 also moonlighted as a hitman for the mob. Eventually, facts come to surface, and it turns out the wife setup Cop 1 to get arrested. She knew Cop 2 was a hitman - she didn't care, because he was always honest with her about. At the end of the episode, she walks away - nothing to charge her with.

9. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I don't doubt that - I just meant that there wasn't a "9/11" episode - the series picked up weeks after things fell and stuff calmed down a bit.

To me, the definitive work on post-9/11 life in NYC was Rescue Me.

10. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Mrs. OOP and I binged The Stranger on Netflix. It was a solid mystery, though some of the stupidity by a few characters in later episodes stretched the suspension of disbelief. It is only eight episodes, so not a huge time investment.

11. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

Ozark seasons one and two are good, not great, but, man, it’s worth it so you can enjoy season 3.

12. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

HBO Now is showing several series for free thru April including The Wire.

I cannot believe it debuted 18 years ago.

Draft saved Draft deleted