1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The TV thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Versatile, Mar 28, 2013.

1. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Then the start of this season might be for you ...

2. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

S3 of Mrs. Maisel is a visual feast - I can understand why only eight eps given the money thrown around each episode - locations, wardrobe, extras - still can't shake the thought that I'm watching three different shows though between Midge, her parents and the ex-husband. It isn't just that the storylines don't play off of each other much, but the sound and rhythms of the various scenes are so different.

heyabbott and Webster like this.
  3. Severian

Severian Well-Known Member

You're correct!

sgreenwell likes this.
  4. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

Crazy some of the money which was spent. I found all of the song and dance numbers to be distracting and not why I liked the show in the first place.

5. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

Finally caught up on Season 3 of Brockmire. I know the show has never broken through, but it is one of the smartest, saddest and funniest shows out there.

heyabbott likes this.
  6. Deskgrunt50

Deskgrunt50 Well-Known Member

Agree 100 percent. Fourth and final season begins in March.

7. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

It’s genius. Pure genius. A293A45F-1DF6-4B8A-80A4-60FB93C56EB1.jpeg
    Rose in real life, age 53. Marin Hinkle

ChrisLong likes this.
  8. DanOregon

Doing the annual Amazon post-Christmas one month of Amazon Prime binge. Damn the third season of Goliath is funny. Matthew Weiner of Mad Men marrying Billy Bob's ex and current mayor of LA. Hilarious. And any time you get Illeana Douglas, Dennis Quaid and Beau Bridges for a project - not to mention Graham Greene, Griffin Dunne and Amy Brennamen - you watch the thing.

9. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Finished up all seven seasons of "The West Wing" today. The last three were not as good as the first four, but between Mrs. Landingham, Admiral Fitzwallace and Leo McGarry, nobody did a funeral scene better.

10. DanOregon

Adios Good Place. Didn't realize it was ending so soon. I realize it never did much in the ratings, but I do hope it encourages networks to try different formats/story telling options - maybe create something between a miniseries and a regular open-ended series order.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2020
    sgreenwell likes this.
  11. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I finished up another run through the series a week ago. I watched it when it first aired, then once when I got the DVD set. This was my third time through on Netflix, which will soon be losing it to HBO's streaming service. This time I skipped most of the final three seasons, though I did watch "The Supremes" and the election day episodes through the end of Season 7. I may go back to the bombing and its aftermath, but overall there was so much I didn't like about those last few seasons, including actions that were out of character.

The dividing line is Sorkin's departure after season four. His final episode, "25," was fantastic. "Babies come with hats" gets me every time.

12. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

Schur can really nail an ending. I didn't realize how deathly the ratings and audience were for "The Good Place," though. According to Variety, "Superstore" had more viewers, and while that show is fine, man, it's operating at a completely different frequency. "The Good Place" seems destined to be way more popular on a streaming service, where you can just plow through all of the episodes in a weekend or two.

Severian and spikechiquet like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted