1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The TV thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Versatile, Mar 28, 2013.

1. Wenders

Wenders Well-Known Member

I was a huge Gilmore Girls fan (I didn't even mind most of the Netflix reboot) who also enjoys the pacing and writing of Mrs. Maisel. (I also watched the show in between, Bunheads, which was criminally canceled after just one season.)

It definitely has a demographic. None of Amy Sherman-Palladino's shows are without their faults. But when you put actors like Lauren Graham and Rachel Brosnahan in the lead roles, it's hard to dislike them. Those two actresses could have chemistry with a paper bag.

Schitt's Creek is SO GOOD. Enjoy it.

Webster likes this.
  2. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

How To Get Away With Murder is trash - but expertly plotted and very watchable trash that hooks you in with the flash-forwards (I think it helps that the producers have a firm grasp of the entire season before they complete the first episode) and still manages some great dramatic moments for guest stars. The limited nature of the seasons (usually only 15 eps) helps and of course, Viola Davis can bring the thunder out of nowhere.

Wenders likes this.
  3. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

The Good Place is kind of sputtering to the finish for me. Without spoilers, I assume that there will be some big twist at the end, but I can’t figure out what it will be.

4. DanOregon

5. Webster

I watched Zoey’s Extraordinary Playlist. Not sure that they will be able to keep up the concept but it is a great cast and Jane Levy is charming.

garrow and Wenders like this.
  6. JimmyHoward33

JimmyHoward33 Well-Known Member

Maisel’s funny. Full stop.

Is the characterization perfect? No. Are they sometimes inconsistent? You bet.

I can’t look at Monk without laughing and I’m watching for laughs not emotional character investment so it works for me

Wenders likes this.
  7. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

Our little family likes “Maisel” a lot. It’s one of the few shows that we make a point to sit down and watch together.

My fear is that, if the show falters even a little ratings wise, it will be in peril because it looks like it is very expensive to produce.

As a side note, we used to watch “Flash” because our son is a comics fan, but bailed when the plots with alternative universes and the overuse of time travel became unwieldy. Thus, we avoided the soup of poop that was CW’s Arrowverse.

8. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

My issue with the previous seasons:
    I never really thought that Eleanor and Chidi had like incredible chemistry. Like, they have medium place chemistry. I really enjoy the rest of the show, but making *that* the central part of the final season is also making it sputter a bit for me too.

9. Webster

Completely agree re: your issue.

10. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

11. lakefront

lakefront Well-Known Member

Money Heist on netflix. Normally I don't like dubbing but I got use to it after the first 13 hrs, haha.

12. DanOregon

So Watchmen is done. Mindhunters is probably three years away from its next season, if it has one.

'Watchmen': Second HBO season won't happen after creator bails

Not that there is any shortage of good TV, but considering the heavy lift to get TV shows - any TV show - off the ground, you would think it would take a few seasons to make the effort worthwhile, financially at least for the studios.

Draft saved Draft deleted