1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The TV thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Versatile, Mar 28, 2013.

1. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I've always imagined that character was based on someone real, the character was so richly drawn.

2. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

I thought an interesting fact is that The West Wing debuted just as the first wave of internet companies were flush with cash and wanted educated and affluent viewers to target. That’s why it tolerated all of Sorkin’s cost overruns because they were taking in cash.

3. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I remember that was something I didn't put together until my third or fourth viewing. When I finish almost any episode, there is a quote that sticks with me. From the one I just finished, the line is "See the whole board."

4. DanOregon

Is there a fiction show conservatives revere in the same way liberals cling to The West Wing as their safe space? I'd think something like The Waltons or Blue Bloods - but I don't think they scratch the same kind of itch.

justgladtobehere likes this.
  5. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

Last Man Standing.

6. JimmyHoward33

JimmyHoward33 Well-Known Member

perhaps Monday Night Raw.

i kid i kid

7. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

I never understand what safe space means. It’s simply a good show and I never thought that the liberal policies overwhelmed it. More than anything, it was about duty which was a bit naive then and even more now.

8. DanOregon

I'm a huge fan of the West Wing - but it is true that people continue to flock to it in response to the current situation in DC (the NYT has a column about it today). If there was one thing the WW didn't do enough of was show the big role lobbyists and donors play in politics - even for those on "our side" whichever side it may be.

9. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

They did deal with donors and people outside the government with influence throughout the series, though it was mostly one-off characters like Victor Campos and Ted Marcus. You're right that the focus was more on politicians and their staffs.

10. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Fox news.

lakefront, Wenders and garrow like this.
  11. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Not just the current situation. During the Bush administration there were people writing about how Martin Sheen would make a great president because of the character he played on The West Wing.

12. JimmyHoward33

JimmyHoward33 Well-Known Member

I’m sort of conservative, a South Park republican I guess, and I think the West Wing is great TV. It breaks my heart that you grow up thinking you’ll get to work for someone like Jed or Leo and then bosses in real life and either selfish assholes or imbeciles.

Anyway when people attribute the revolutionary war snake and “don’t tread on me” to racism I often remind them that the very flag was on Sam Seaborn’s office wall.

Draft saved Draft deleted