1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The TV thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Versatile, Mar 28, 2013.

1. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

Got caught up last night, and Ho. Lee. Fuk. That was a fantastic episode. Reflecting on it, I'm glad it wasn't 10 episodes of "who is going to die next" and "who is going to betray whom?" I was kind of wondering if this was going to be a tie in with the last season as an origin of the antichrist. Now, I'm not entirely sure where they are going to turn based on the teaser for next week. It feels a little like Murder House, so it will be interesting to see how this twists.

2. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

The Righteous Gemstones should be better than it is with John Goodman, Walton Goggins and Dermot Mulroney. The problem? The show's central characters are Danny McBride (a poor man's Will Ferrell) and Adam Devine (who just tries too damn hard).

3. Severian

Severian Well-Known Member

He plays the character of a try-hard younger brother fairly well, though. It works for the show.

4. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

I haven't seen the other AHS seasons, so I kind of hope this one continues to stand on its own. I'd hate to start thinking, "So wait, this ties into what now?"
    That episode and the teaser definitely made it feel like the end of Season 1 of a series, though. Like they could have made this a five-episode sprint, and just left the characters' fates open-ended yet still not left you wondering what happens next. I think the only person whose fate they didn't tie up in that episode was Fake Rita. She was still out there, right?

5. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

Interesting Vox review of The Watchmen. Contains a great sentence:

"Part of the joy of Watchmen is in seeing how it borrows elements from the comic to completely invent its own story. But if you’ve never read the comic or seen its 2009 movie adaptation, you’re going to be just fine. There’s both weirdness aplenty and a serious meditation on what it means to live in a world where systems have run amok and the authorities pretend that encroaching fascism, rising white nationalism, and approaching environmental collapse are just the way things are supposed to be."

I think HBO’s Watchmen is tremendous television. Lots of people will strongly disagree.

OscarMadison likes this.
  6. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

The Great Depresh on HBO is fantastic.

7. Deskgrunt50

Deskgrunt50 Well-Known Member

The Politician on Netflix. Dark comedy/drama about the campaign for class president at an upscale California high school. There’s a whole lot going on in it. Ben Platt, who was in Dear Evan Hansen on Broadway, is fantastic.

8. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

Anyone watch Watchmen last night? Definitely better than the movie; I'll certainly keep watching.

9. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

Unbelievable on Netlix is pretty darn good.

lakefront likes this.
  10. Severian

Severian Well-Known Member

Have you read the ProPublica/Marshall Project story?

11. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

The latest season of Goliath is worth the watch, if only to see how a show can make a 180 degree turn from its first season and become something completely different. It’s no longer a David E Kelley legalese whodunnit but instead Twin Peaks v3.

12. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

No. After 30 seconds Google, I think I should... once I'm done watching.

Draft saved Draft deleted