1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The TV thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Versatile, Mar 28, 2013.

1. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

I watched only the first episode of season 2 last night. My first reaction was I had tired of serial killers or gruesome murder mysteries in general. Too much of a trope that involves women dying and men solving the crime. Also, just a push back on serial killers being something to spend time on. My second reaction was that the set up was terrible. It was about as subtle as a brick to the head. Jonathan Groff showing up changed everything.

I thought the backyard cookout was interesting. I took the neighbors' reactions to Tench talking about his investigations as a comment on the audience, which was reaffirming what I was feeling.

2. mpcincal

mpcincal Well-Known Member

I'm not delving into the spoiler thread yet, but I'm three episodes into "The Boys," and absolutely love it. Very R-rated with sexual content and very over-the-top violence, but I looking forward to seeing how this turns out.

3. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

I have sort of mixed feelings on Mindhunter.

Bill Tench is a real person, they just changed the name. He has a real family. He has a son. I’m not so sure the plot like involving his family was a good idea. When you make one thing unreal, you make everyone question the other things.

I just realized I wrote that the way Tench would say it. I think I binged too hard.

If you are a fan of the craft of filmmaking, this show is on par with anything ever done. There is a shit ton of framing.

Groff and McCallany, especially McCallany, just own this thing. And by the end of this, you realize how smoking hot Torv is. It’s funny because I just finished the second season of The Sinner, which she was in, and I really disliked her character. Straighten her hair and put her in nice clothes. Her voice could melt chocolate. Damn...

4. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Ummm, that was Carrie Coon in The Sinner.

5. 3 episodes in on Season 2 of Mindhunter.
    Not thrilled with it yet. Buddy of mine got through it and was disappointed. Said it was set up for Season 3.
    I read the book, twice.

6. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

I can see how it might have been disappointing in the beginning but the latter half of the season is very good. It's uncomfortable and tense and frustrating as the Atlanta investigation moves along. I was left wanting to see what was going to happen next.

7. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

8. Fred siegle likes this.
  9. Severian

Severian Well-Known Member

Waiting to watch the second episode of The Righteous Gemstones. Then, starting On Becoming God in Central Florida.

10. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I've always figured that the success of a TV show depends on whether you want to "hang out" with the cast or not. Waller-Bridge is a hoot - nice run she's having with Killing Eve, the new Bond movie and this.

sgreenwell likes this.
  11. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

We finished season 2 tonight (had been away for work and then on vacation and it was the first thing we did after the kids went to sleep). What a great season and I almost hope they don’t ruin it by making a third. Like Catastrophe, so smart and well cast.

12. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Amazon's Jack Ryan is a helluva lot better than it has any right to be. Casting Wendell Pierce as Greer was genius. I actually think there might have been better choices than Krasinski who is a little old for the role though - Baldwin was 32 in Hunt for Red October. Seems like he would have done well enough on Wall Street where his living situation would have been better, his cover would have been more suited to his known background (Wall Street/economics). Instead, they painted him like a 39-year old slacker.

Inky_Wretch likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted