1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The TV thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Versatile, Mar 28, 2013.

1. OscarMadison

OscarMadison Well-Known Member

Late to the party.

Here's what Michael Che had to say about Nanette:
    Has Michael Che Seen Nanette? An Investigation

I want to like it more than I do. Maybe it's a Pavlovian response to the constant accusation that not liking works like "Nanette" somehow makes me complicit with the patriarchy.

2. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Nanette is different, but I'd say it's more of a great TedTalk than a comedy performance. And honestly, it's kind of a loaded performance - hard to walk out of it and say you weren't moved.

OscarMadison and sgreenwell like this.
  3. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

The Boys is starting very strong.

4. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

Odd this came up today, since I just got to her appearance on the Conan O'Brien podcast. In hindsight, she said that she would probably make it shorter, and that she was helped by the fact that she was performing to comedy audiences that were expecting something entirely different. (She also didn't know what a Bloomin' Onion or Outback restaurant was; the Conan podcast goes into some delightfully strange places sometimes.)

5. OscarMadison

OscarMadison Well-Known Member

The Boys... Yep. This is my next serial watch. I sat there and listed all the influences other than Watchmen, then the credits rolled and I saw Garth Ennis' name. He's the good kind of thieving geek.

6. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

Finished Burns’ epic on the Vietnam War tonight. The only time I cried was when seeing vets at the wall. I’ve been once, in 1998 or 1999, and I happened to be there on Veterans Day. Seeing all the vets in their army green hugging each other and crying on shoulders was strangely emotional for me. My dad just missed having his navy stint extended, or he would have joined some of his shipmates and headed over.

7. britwrit

britwrit Well-Known Member

The Boys is right up my alley. I would've liked even if it wasn't as good but I'm going to be watching this again.

For one thing, it's an interesting concept. "Supes" can apparently get away with literally murder but at the end of the day, they're still controlled and exploited by the non-super power structure.

8. Deskgrunt50

Deskgrunt50 Well-Known Member

My dad loved Ken Burns. And he couldn’t/wouldn’t watch Vietnam. He rarely spoke of his experience there and he wasn’t a combat soldier.

When we went to DC 10 years ago, loved all the history but sat out when we saw the Vietnam Memorial. Never did get his full story there.

9. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

Just finished the Boys. That ending. Wow.

As I said on the running geek thread, the absolute carnage of the show made it border on either being horrific or absolutely great. It was fucking great. The whole show was fucked up but so good.

10. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Zipping through Stranger Things. Might be my favorite season yet, narrative wise - and the expanded cast means less time for the irritating characters (the boys, Joyce). Did think it's funny that JC Penney is "all in" on the tie-ins promoting 80s fashion at their stores. (And they wonder why they struggle).

11. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

We’ve watched the first 5 episodes of season 2 of Killing Eve this weekend. So far, the season is too fey by half — all quirks and outfits.

12. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Loved season 1. Hated season 2. Somebody just kill her (not Eve).

Webster likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted