1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The TV thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Versatile, Mar 28, 2013.

1. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

Saw it and quite liked it - took it from more of a teen show to a grown-up show, which is fine, because that's likely what most of the audience for that show is now. Clearly enough dangling hooks and questions left for them to go another year if they want.

2. Wenders

Wenders Well-Known Member

I am. I had a plan to finish watching the older episodes this week and binge the new season next weekend, as I was at a journalism conference this past weekend.

I'm going to have to be ridiculously diligent about what I see on the internet for a few days. Thanks, Hulu, for screwing up my perfect plan by just arbitrarily moving up the drop date.

garrow and sgreenwell like this.
  3. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

That was weird to me too, because I knew of at least five people doing re-watches before the new season. They also dumped all of them at once - Probably would have made more sense to do one or two a week to start, similar to Handmaid's.

4. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Finished Big Little Lies last night; boy is Meryl Streep a joy to watch, even when I hate her character. So good. Laura Dern is fantastic as a wronged high rolling wife. Wife didn’t like season but I enjoyed.

5. typefitter

typefitter Well-Known Member

I watch things about a year after everyone else does, so... Escape at Dannemora? Slow, slow burn but I found myself hooked into it, even knowing the outcome of the story. Although weirdly, or maybe not weirdly, I thought the episodes before the escape were more interesting than the episodes after. They definitely weighted things correctly. But I almost think they could have covered the post-escape period in a single episode. (PS: The guy who played Lyle, Tilly's gomer husband, was fantastic.)

On to Chernobyl.

6. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I've been a fan of Jessica Jones, but the third season dragged. I really love the "quiet New York" it showed and I can't believe I finally realized that was Rebecca DeMornay playing Trish Walker's mom - she should be getting more work. And as much as I like the Trish Walker character - Hellcat is really bad at being a superhero.

7. Deskgrunt50

Deskgrunt50 Well-Known Member

We stumbled upon Halt and Catch Fire. Didn’t know a thing about it. Sort of Silicon Valley but in the 80s. Watched the first season. Pretty good.

A little behind on Years and Years. It’s good, but I need to space out my intake of dystopian dread.

sgreenwell likes this.
  8. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

It gets a lot better - as it goes along. The characters (and their growth) are what set the show apart.

sgreenwell likes this.
  9. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

I’m no fan of Brown and Independence, but that Garden City coach is sour vomit on the bathroom floor of an Alabama crack house in July.

10. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

I'm always behind, so just binged Rome. Liked it. Thought Caesar was gonna make it!

And now just watching Dexter for first time, also enjoying. I'm hoping to get to Dannemora in 2027.

Think folks on here talked about Hannah Gadsby's Nanette special last year. Hilton Als reviewed her new show and people are really upset with the piece (which I think is really good), including the fact they really don't think Als knows the definitions of certain words, like patriarchy. Also appears to be folks mad that a straight, white male reviewed it. Twitter, ladies and gentlemen.

Hannah Gadsby’s Song of the Self

11. typefitter

typefitter Well-Known Member

I did not enjoy Nanette and almost felt bad that I didn't, because so many people seemed to love it.

12. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

I couldn’t agree more. I also didn't understand how everyone thought that she was so brilliant at the Emmys. She must have a great PR team.

Draft saved Draft deleted