1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The TV thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Versatile, Mar 28, 2013.

1. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

2. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Yep. A rare one that I don't fast forward through -- and ironically enough, Prime gives you the option to automatically "skip intro."

3. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

I haven't made it, still have 4 (maybe 3? Not sure) episodes left but so far they've done a terrible job of explaining why the hell they fly dirtbags around on a plane and store them at a vagrant camp in the desert.

Meanwhile, also on Prime is an English police procedural called Line of Duty. It's flawed, but damn does it have some fantastic twists and turns (that are enough to overcome the huge plot holes). Can recommend, especially if you are a fan of Unforgotten.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2019
  4. HC

HC Well-Known Member

I loved Line of Duty. Netflix had it a couple of years ago.

5. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

6. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

Miami Vice theme song.

qtlaw likes this.
  7. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

8. Wenders

Wenders Well-Known Member

WHAT THE FORK IS THIS BULLSHIRT

Spartan Squad likes this.
  9. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

I love this show, but I'm glad they are reading the writing on the wall.

Webster likes this.
  10. DanOregon

As we've seen more anthologies and limited run series, I like the idea of a "designed" three or four year run. Though I think most shows that do a full five or six seasons (after which contracts would need to be renegotiated), find the legs in season one, peak in season three then move to an end game is just about perfect.

11. Wenders

Wenders Well-Known Member

I will say this - several of the shows I watch have been given an established "final season", which I am a fan of because the writers can write an actual ending for a show, instead of where they will cancel a show and it had a cliffhanger or otherwise unsatisfying ending. At least 4-5 shows that I watch, they knew which renewal was their last, giving them a chance to really write the ending for the show that they wanted.

That being said, I love The Good Place and I will be sad for it to end because it's so well written and interesting.

Severian and sgreenwell like this.
  12. DanOregon

You do see fewer shows suddenly yanked from production. Cable and streaming (when they produce entire seasons usually before the first ep airs) have conditioned viewers to "season-long" arcs in addition to the episodic A plotlines that are wrapped up each week. Broadcast usually allows shows to produce at least the full 13 initial order before discontinuing production.

Draft saved Draft deleted