1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The TV thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Versatile, Mar 28, 2013.

1. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

I am loving The Good Fight as well. Didn't realize it was in DVD until recently. Binged the first season and now have Season 2 waiting for me.

Not quite on The Good Wife's level, but still excellent. Enjoy seeing some of the eccentric characters from TGW return, though I think the shorter seadonnhurts some of those courtroom stories. They have to get tons resolution quicker rather than give them a couple episodes to tell the tale. Still really enjoy it.

2. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

I just started on this last night, and the pilot was fantastic. Found my new show to binge on for the next few weeks ...

Wenders and heyabbott like this.
  3. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

I've only got the second season finale left, but I think that Mrs. Maisel was a little too flashy in terms of monies that they had to spend (Paris, the Catskills, the telethon).

The show is still great, but I think that Susie had way too much to do. Also, the Midge character is very much like Lorelei Gilmore -- every just stands around admiring her.

That being said, the acting is top to bottom fantastic -- everyone one of the top 8 roles is perfect Even Rufus Sewell in his one-off was Emmy worthy.

4. JimmyHoward33

JimmyHoward33 Well-Known Member

Tony Shalhoub is a national treasure in that show.

Webster and qtlaw like this.
  5. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

Agreed. I think that got really good work out of him, Pollak, Levi and the actor who plays Joel.

6. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Got caught up An Innocent Man on Netflix, based on Grisham's non-fiction foray in 2006. Very similar to Making of a Murderer but still interesting.

7. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Getting into the Polish series 1983 on Netflix. The premise is a cross between the Americans and Man in High Castle. The Polish revolution against Russia never happened and now it's 2003 and Al Gore is President of the US and is "invading Iraq." It has dubbing and subtitles depending on what you prefer. And it's only eight episodes.

8. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Don't know how I missed this:

'Northern Exposure' Revival in the Works at CBS With Rob Morrow

Looks pretty official, unlike previous abortive attempts at a revival.

I'd guess right off the bat that Holling and Shelly's daughter, born in the final season of the original run -- and thus would be 25-26 now -- will be a new lead character.

I think Ruth-Anne (Peg Phillips) is the only member of the original cast who has died; Holling (John Cullum) and Maurice (Barry Corbin) are still alive and active.

John Corbett (Chris) is listed as a producer, so I'd guess he certainly intends to return in some capacity.

With Morrow in this one as an executive producer, I'd guess the series won't be disrupted by him constantly threatening to jump ship (as happened in the original).

But I wonder if he's come to grips that when NX really hit its stride, the show wasn't really about Joel Fleischmann any more; it was the ensemble cast that carried the show.

(As I vaguely recall, although a lot of Morrow's contract gripes revolved around money, a lot of it also centered on his contention he'd signed the contract on the basis the show would be centered around his character and he felt, correctly, it had departed from that premise.)

In some ways Morrow's contract wrangling and resulting intermittent absences forced the show to focus less o him, and as a result it became much better.

I don't think Dr. Fleischmann the character or Morrow the actor are likable and engaging enough to really carry a show.

Joel's fish-out-of-water kvetching grew tiresome and repetitive; it needs to be a minor angle to the overall storyline, not the whole thing.

And if the reboot premise is that Joel has returned to Cicely after being in New York for 25 years, the idea he's doing it grudgingly or against his will would be pretty far-fetched.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2019
  9. DanOregon

Always liked Morrow as an actor, but NE wasn't the last time he griped with producers. They're going to need a new "fish" out of water for the story to work though. I'm guessing Fleishman will return to tend to the affairs of some character who dies and will decide to stay.

10. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

I hope they don't set up Joel and Maggie as a middle-aged couple.

Frankly I don't care if they bring Maggie back at all -- the character had become thoroughly boring even 25 years ago.

I suppose a good running theme might be the continuing gentrification/ commercialization of Cicely in the intervening 25 years. Did Maurice really turn it into the "Alaskan Riviera?"

Ed should have developed an online media empire -- a YouTube superstar.

11. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

The Last Hangover. It is The Last Supper and The Hangover combined with a touch of a life of Brian. It’s Brazilian with English subtitles. Netflix, it is surprisingly funny. Worth the watch

12. DanOregon

They may as well hand this show the Emmy now.

Draft saved Draft deleted