1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The TV thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Versatile, Mar 28, 2013.

1. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Will they bring back Sipowicz and give him yet another wife even younger and more beautiful than Charlotte Ross was 15 years ago?

More realistically, maybe Theo becomes a cop and Franz makes a few appearances to offer some fatherly advice? Franz is 74 and he hasn't acted in 13 years. What is the right thing?

Edit: I gave this some more thought today and I'm trying to figure out how a NYPD Blue reboot makes any sense. Does it mean recasting the main characters and starting fresh? Does it mean picking up the story 15 years later with some of the old cast coming back? Does anybody even still remember much about characters other than Sipowicz by the end?

The entire point when NYPD Blue started was to make a police drama that pushed the boundaries of network television. There really aren't many boundaries left to push and with cable shows like what you might find on FX out there, is there even a reason to try any more?

Last edited: Dec 11, 2018
  2. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

Is Brooklyn 99 as good as Parks and Rec and The Office?

3. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

The other two don't have Andre Braugher - I don't know if 99 works without him.

4. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

I fell off after the second season, just because of too much other TV and my own busier schedule. It doesn't have quite the emotional edge of those other two shows. It's more of a laugh and gag fest, like one of those shows mixed with 30 Rock.

5. Wenders

Wenders Well-Known Member

You missed out on some excellent episodes. Don't want to say too much because Scout hasn't seen the show, but they've gone way deeper in the last few seasons, fleshing out characters.

I love Brooklyn 99. It's a great show with a variety of characters. Very funny, serious when it needs to be. It started way more slapstick than it is now.

Never seen The Office (shoot me it's like, a billion seasons and fell into those years where I watched zero primetime TV) but it's a different feel from Parks & Rec. It's not the faux-documentary setup. The writing is tight. If you've watched The Good Place, those are created by the same person. And everyone on Brooklyn 99 is very suited to their characters. Andre Braugher is EXCELLENT as Captain Holt - the gruff, black, gay police captain, Terry Crews as a sergeant, Stephanie Beatriz, Melissa Fumero and Andy Samberg as detectives and Chelsea Peretti (married to Jordan Peele) as a total crack-up who keeps everyone in line.

tl;dr: totally worth it.

6. DanOregon

Finished the final season of House of Cards. Once it was over I felt that - really - they didn't need eight episodes to tell that story. They could have told it in one. And much time is spent on things that don't ultimately matter at all. Frustrating. The show didn't work with just Claire. Probably wouldn't have worked with just Frank either.
    The thing I'll miss the most about that show? The opening theme with the shots of DC. Talk about setting the stage for some serious crud to be on verge of gowing down... damn.

7. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Getting into Killing Eve since it's on just about every year-end top 10 list. First episode was pretty good. Feels a little bit like Mr. Robot in the production. I've always liked Sandra Oh, too.

8. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

Like the show a lot and it is well acted (especially Braugher, who is a gem). For me, it is maybe just a little too formulaic at times -- they might was well put flashing lights up which say "A Plot", "B Plot" and "C Plot".

sgreenwell and justgladtobehere like this.
  9. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

And I know that this sounds a little strange, but the protagonists in Schur shows are always such nice people. Even when they may start as more nuanced, their hearts of gold come out pretty quickly. Couple that with the fact that the foils are so cartoonishly drawn that it can be repetitive.

Even season 3 of The Good Place has suffered from this.

10. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

I sometimes thinks he needs to hire a real asshole to edit his stuff and scuff it up a little bit.

Webster likes this.
  11. Severian

Severian Well-Known Member

Brooklyn 99 is like Parks and The Office in its own respect. But it's definitely a different show.

Watch the whole thing. It's better as the series progresses.

12. DanOregon

It's good Chinese food. They'll drop 75-100 jokes in 20 minutes. But 10 minutes later, you'll have a hard time recalling the plot.

Draft saved Draft deleted