1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The TV thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Versatile, Mar 28, 2013.

1. Deskgrunt50

Deskgrunt50 Well-Known Member

Watched the first two episodes of The Romanoffs. Liked both, first more than second. Great casts. Each one is a standalone.

Interesting vehicle to tell stories. It’s, of course, not Mad Men. But not many things are.

I’ll stick with this.

2. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

@Wenders, second vote for Manifest. It's network TV and sorta shows it, but it's got plenty of twists and decent enough acting.

Wenders likes this.
  3. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Somehow started watching the new FBI show - it seems indistinguishable from Criminal Minds. But then most CBS shows seem like slightly different versions of other CBS shows.

4. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

When the goal is to air enough shows to make syndication practical, that will happen.

5. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

The Good Place has continued to be excellent.

Mrs W and are now binging Transparent. I really love 85% of the show, but I'm not sure I can get through 4 seasons of hating pretty much every character.

6. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

The second season of American Vandal is good. Maybe not as funny as the first, but funny and clever enough with some a few good performances.

7. Machine Head

Machine Head Well-Known Member

Being lazy and not going back through the thread but Ozark is worth some viewing time.

8. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Bateman doesn't get enough credit for what he does with that - the look, the scripts - how generous he is with the other characters. Never would have expected it from Teen Wolf Too.

Machine Head likes this.
  9. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

Watched the first episode of The Connors last night. Anyone who is boycotting this show over "durrrrrr dey fahred Roseanne durrrrr" has a mental disorder. That was a damn well-written and well acted episode. Metcalfe and Goodman carry that show as they always have. It touches on topics that are affecting people real people in 2018. Barr sending her moronic tweet was the best thing to happen to this production, as she was a lousy actress last season. It was a relief not having her come into a scene and spew a memorized line with a blank look on her face.

10. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Basketball, A Love Story. Saw the Maurice Stokes/Jack Twyman episode and had me in tears. Damn what a selfless move by Twyman.

11. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

I, too, watched it and thought it was good. I think it can, and will, become better as the series -- sans Barr -- once it fully finds its footing. I don't think it quite did that in the first episode. There was definitely something missing -- a big something -- and felt a bit off-balance to me because of it. But damn, it was good, anyway, which is a testament to Goodman, Metcalf and Gilbert, as I knew it would be.

There were reasons "Roseanne" was a good show, and Barr wasn't the only one. I believe this show will prove that, stand on its own, and still be a worthy successor to its roots.

That said, a couple areas that could use improvement or change as far as I'm concerned: I still can't quite wrap my head around Darlene, and her daughter being her daughter. They just don't quite seem the right fit together for me, and DJ/his wife/daughter is another bad match that just doesn't work. It seems politically correctly forced, and that's all it feels like, rather than that its there because any real relationship was/ever has been built up between them.

12. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

The first episode of the season for Blackish was this week.

The show is back to being funny after the failing marriage arc at the end of last season.

Draft saved Draft deleted