1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The TV thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Versatile, Mar 28, 2013.

1. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Only the first four. The upcoming eight episodes seem to be called the second half of Season 5.

2. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

My top British dramas currently on the air would go:

1. New version of Doctor Who that started in 2005
    2. Sherlock
    3. Luther

Also, in terms of comedies that have made me actually laugh out loud, Fresh Meat, a British comedy, does it better than any show for me since the first time I went through Party Down.

3. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Well, that's definitely enough to get me started. Netflix freebie, here I come!

4. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

I don't really understand why people love to emphasize, "This made me laugh out loud!" I out loud is the only way I laugh. If something made you smirk, it did not make you laugh.

5. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

It's more stressing that it's that type of comedy. Louie is fantastic and I find it funny, but I don't find myself audibly laughing a ton during it. I mostly just smile and think that was damn funny, or clever, or cringe-inducing. I understand what you mean, but it's a short-hand for saying it's a gut-busting type of comedy, which isn't exactly the Brits usual M.O.

6. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

I guess I laugh a lot.

7. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

I don't watch TV, either, except for sports and some special events. It's too much of a time suck, and I got tired of being "programmed" to depend on watching TV. I know I'm missing out on some great shows, but I don't miss TV much at all. I spend that time on the Internet instead, since I prefer reading and bouncing around.

8. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Then get off this thread with your hermit ass.

9. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Been enjoying the Comcast Watchathon - Downton Abbey and Homeland. DA is as good as people say it is and Homeland (just got done with S2) Holy crap!

There really is no better way to watch some of these intensive dramas than seeing them three or four episodes at a time.

10. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia and The League are moving to new comedy-geared network FXX as FX breaks into three (with FXM, for movies, being the third). FX will focus on dramas but still have some comedies, such as Louie.

Here's Alan Sepinwall's breakdown: http://bit.ly/14yGbns

11. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Following the TBS/TNT model, it seems.

12. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Yes, with TCM being Turner's movie channel. FX is targeting a younger demographic, though.

The A.V. Club says FXX will show a lot of Arrested Development and even Freaks & Geeks.

I am wondering how cable providers will handle this. Hopefully FXX will be included in typical cable plans. If not, this could be a disaster.

Draft saved Draft deleted