1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The TV thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Versatile, Mar 28, 2013.

1. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

I think if more people would have made themselves give Pitch one try, they would have stuck with it. I believe there was probably a lot of sexist eye-rolling over the premise. But yes, it was quite well-done.

2. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I typically do an eye-roll when I hear Network brass "sell" their Fall line-ups, but I do think in the case of Pitch - it wasn't really a Fox show. Baseball skews old, how many other shows do they have with strong female leads? Would have been a good ABC or NBC pick-up, but I'm guessing Fox having MLB was what the hook was. Might have been better to hold it until after baseball was done.

3. Wenders

Wenders Well-Known Member

It wasn't just having MLB but having the access to the people on Fox Sports that they could "film segments" about the characters to really make it look legitimate. Because they have people who shoot MLB on the regular, they could make the game sequences look legit.

I think the other big problem was it only got 10 episodes, they didn't give it a back end of the season and then people (read: network execs) forgot about it by the time it was time to renew shows.

4. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

Pitch might have been better for FX.

sgreenwell likes this.
  5. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

And "Designated Survivor" ends the season with a conclusion ... but it doesn't. At least it's been renewed for Season 2.

6. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

The second Season of Master of None has been better than the first. Watched the first four episodes last night. Arnold is the best part of that show. Episodes he is in are always better than the others

7. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

American Gods?

8. Madhavok

Madhavok Well-Known Member

I agree. Season 2 much better and yes, any episode with Arnold is great.

9. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

Anybody else watch Twin Peaks last night? It was as Lynchian as one could imagine. At times the tone was closer to Eraserhead than the original Twin Peaks pilot.

Last edited: May 22, 2017
  10. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

I wish we had Showtime still. I'd really like to check that out, but it's just not in the household budget for now.

11. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

I'm looking forward to the new seasons of Bloodline, Narcos and House of Cards on Netflix (without the chill) and Fear the Walking Dead on AMC.

So I sat through all four seasons of "The Glades" because I kind of like Matt Passmore's character and the female lead was cute as heck. And then I get the ending where, SPOILER ALERT, the soon-to-be groom is shot twice in the new home he bought for them. Could be the federal agent, could be Callie's ex-husband who skipped out on witness relocation. And that's just fucking it. No season 5, no answers. I don't mind an ambiguous ending in a movie, and the Sopranos ending didn't bother me at all, but this ending needed to be better than that. Show him dead, show him all bandaged up at his wedding, but don't leave it like that. Fuck a duck.

12. Loved Narcos. Lukewarm about Season 3. The Escobar saga was the hook. We'll see.
    Breezed through Season 2 of Master of None. Much better than the first season. But it's not funny. I seldom LOL, but it's cute and even authentic. I love Ansari.
    His parents are my favorite.
    Arnold is ok. I like him in small doses. He reminds a LOT of Brian Posehn.

Waiting on OITNB to drop. And second season of Fargo.

On Amzaon, I dropped Orphan Black one episode into Season 4. I'm done, I think. Blew through latest season of Catastrophe. That is a great show!

Draft saved Draft deleted