1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The trucker who would be governor

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by LongTimeListener, Sep 11, 2015.

1. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Guy in Mississippi goes to register for governor's race. Doesn't tell anyone, including his mother. Doesn't campaign. Wins 79 of 82 counties in the Democratic primary.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/09/08/u...k-for-mississippi-governor.html?smid=tw-share

Mr. Gray beat two other candidates, who unlike him spent money and campaigned. Democratic Party officials were stunned. The news media was stunned. Mr. Gray, now Mississippi’s Democratic nominee for governor, gave some interviews and then set off with a truck full of sweet potatoes for a potato chip factory in Pennsylvania.

“He was the first name on the ballot, and he was a man,” said Jacqueline Amos, the executive field director for the state Democratic Party.

No chance to win, but he does have the same educational qualifications as Scott Walker.

2. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Says a lot about the state of politics in our nation.

3. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

Hell, he's got the same qualifications as Donald Trump ... without getting millions from his daddy and support from the mob.

4. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

Sounds like a 1970s country song.

5. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

So he went to college for four years?

6. albert77

albert77 Well-Known Member

Don't know about the country at large, but it speaks volumes about the state of the Democratic Party in Mississippi, which is on life support. Dems occupy exactly one statewide office in the state, the Attorney General, and I predict he gets voted out in November. They also have one Congressman, out of four, but the district he represents is heavily gerrymandered in his favor.

Draft saved Draft deleted