1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Troy Aikman Memorial Week 8 NCAA Football Running Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Chef, Oct 19, 2009.

1. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

A two-loss Pac-10 team won't finish in the top 14, I don't think. A two-loss Ohio State team is not a good bet, although Penn State is a possibility despite one loss and a laughable NC schedule. Whomever Texas plays from the North in the Big 12 championship won't be anywhere near the top 14 after the Longhorns whip them.

If TCU finishes undefeated and everyone else besides the Alabama/Florida loser (who gets one at-large) has two losses, they're almost forced to pick both TCU and Boise State to fill two of the remaining three at-large spots if they want to maintainn even a shred of credibility.

Of course, please shoot me for using BCS and credibility in the same sentence.

Title: SEC champ (1), Big 12 champ (2)

Other automatics: Big East champ (3), ACC champ (4), Pac-10 champ (5), Big Ten champ (6)

At-large: SEC title-game loser (7), Boise (8), TCU (9), highest-ranked (or highest profile) remaining team from a BCS conference or (shudder) Notre Lame, whose toughest remaining games would be average Pitt and Stanford if the Domers win against BC this weekend if ND somehow finishes in the top 8.

"Under the new BCS arrangement Notre Dame will be guaranteed one of the at-large slots in a BCS bowl if it is ranked No. 8 or better in the final BCS Standings."
    Big Ten champ

2. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

Pitt's ranked and favored which means USF by 17.

3. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

dartmouth has lost 17 in a row. long way from that columbia streak, but still.

4. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

Ohh, and I think Cincinnati traveled something like 25,000 to the Orange Bowl last year, so I doubt many bowl committees would be bitching about the Bearcats if they got them.

5. ucacm

ucacm Active Member

Yeah, the Orange Bowl was a real hot ticket last year (granted, VA Tech did not travel well, either):

http://thequad.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/01/01/tech-savvy/

6. Blitz

Blitz Active Member

A week or so ago, I sold my 2 pairs of State/Fla tix on E-Bay for 140 and 150, respectively.
    Will attend State/Bama and State/Ole Miss

Were Fla to fall this weekend, it would certainly be a shocker.
    I'm still taking State plus the 23 in the SJ (Yahoo) picks game.
    I honestly think Fla will lose either against FSU or Bama. Hopefully they will go ahead and lose this weekend.

Your BCS title game, if we are given the best one, will be USC vs. Bama.

7. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

There are several intriguing BCS title matchups this year....Fla vs. Texas, Fla vs. USC, Bama vs. USC, and anything with Boise or Cincy in there.

8. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=4580985

Ahhhh. The Bammers will get a kick out of this. The Ol' Ball Coach inquiring about a possible rule violation in last week's game.

9. ucacm

ucacm Active Member

Isn't it a little premature to declare that Cinci is going to finished undefeated? There's a much higher chance of Cinci losing a game than there is for Boise State. I'm guilty of making that assumption as well, but there's still a strong chance that they drop a game or two. At that point, no one from the Big East is an intriguing team.

10. Songbird

Isn't Tony Pike out with an arm injury? If he is, Cincy doesn't win this week.

11. He's having surgery to repair a damaged plate in his forearm.
    I have no idea how long he will be out.

12. Songbird

Well then, yeah, Cincy is done.

Draft saved Draft deleted