1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"The troubling viral trend of the hilarious black neighbor"

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, May 9, 2013.

1. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

I'm still disappointed this post-tornado video never really went viral.

2. BenPoquette

BenPoquette Active Member

good plan

3. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

If Slate really wanted to write something substantive and provocative they should have
    written about Charles Ramsey as symbolic of a generation of black men caught up in Clinton War on Drugs who were incarcerated for petty crimes.

The camera does not lie and Ramsey comes across as a genuine likeable and
    street smart guy that became a victim of life's circumstances.

4. armageddon

armageddon Active Member

Unless she asked someone else to stand in for her during the shooting of her profile picture on Twitter, Aisha Harris is not white.

5. ifilus

ifilus Well-Known Member

Wife beating aside.

6. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Because the mainstream media had largely settled on a narrative about Ramsey, or were at least starting to settle on one, that was inaccurate.

7. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Charles Ramsey is a real-life version of the mandatory "Screaming Negro Scene" in every Bay/Bruckheimer disaster film (among others).

Requirements:

-- Usually extremely dark-skinned

-- Exaggerated bug-eyed expressions

-- Usually wearing comical outfits (wildly stereotypical hip-hop gear), dreadlocks, huge 'fros, etc etc.

-- Lots of ebonics and screaming 'Sheee-yit!!!,' 'some body call nine one one!!,' etc etc. to comment on the unfolding disaster situation

8. I agree with the poster who said Ramsey was hardly an unwitting star. He knew EXACTLY what he was doing. Don't sell the man short.

If anything, I think there's a white paternalism or some other factor at work in which Ramsey is being praised for actions that would be criticized if done by someone who was white or middle class. Yes, I laughed at Ramsey's interviews, but I didn't -- and don't -- think his humor/attitude/tone was appropriate for what was a colossally emotional story that affected real people and families in that neighborhood. If that makes me a stick in the mud, so be it.

My strong hunch is that when the full story of this Ramsey is written, he will be seen as more an opportunist than a hero.

9. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

I agree. Ramsey recognized the opportunity for instant media exploitation.

Nothing wrong with that if it stands up to scrutiny. A two-way feeding frenzy, really.

10. printit

printit Member

Well, at least he wasn't in that awful Mountain Dew commercial.

11. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

I heard some dumb fuck on the radio (that seems to be where a lot of the dumb fucks hang out) go into a spiel about, "you have to give it up for him, he provided a twinkle of laughter in what could have been a downer of a story."

Hey wait you have a story about three girls getting kidnapped as teens, held captive in chains as breeding stock for a decade, continually and repeatedly raped, with some of the resulting offspring being murdered and disposed of by the sires/perps when their existence proved problematic.

What the fuck "twinkle of laughter" do you see in that? There isn't any and we don't need a fucking clown show in the middle of the story.

Anybody who goes looking for a "twinkle of laughter" in a story like that should go slurp down a liter bottle of Drano and see if they can find the "twinkle of laughter" in that.

12. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Charles Ramsey seems like a guy who always looks at the brighter side of life, despite life's circumstances. Seems like a
    much better way to live life as opposed to always being angry and bitter.

Draft saved Draft deleted