1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Trouble with Johnny Football

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Alma, Jul 30, 2013.

1. champ_kind

champ_kind Well-Known Member

upon further review, i left out a word

2. SockPuppet

SockPuppet Active Member

Boom 70: I wasn't commenting white or black. Good parenting is good parenting, bad parenting is bad parenting. The Manziels = poor/bad. RG3's parents = good.

Also, either the mom or the dad in the story made a comment along the lines that they had no read, didn't really know their son. WTF? I can see being confused about a child, but saying they don't KNOW him or can't figure him out?

3. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Once upon a time, perhaps. But today, there just isn't any way for a beat writer to get that kind of access and not get frozen the fuck out by the coach and the PR folks. I didn't see Kevin Sumlin quoted in Thompson's story, or Kingsbury, or any of Manziel's teammates that he presumes to love so much. Just like I didn't see Will Muschamp's take on Urban Meyer in last year's Urban Meyer story.

That's not a criticism, either. It's simply part and parcel of how takeouts often work. Thompson wrote on Twitter he hoped readers felt the story "humanized" Manziel. If it does so, it does so at the expense of Texas A&M -- whom the parents blame for several things.

4. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

SP - was not directed at you. Just making a general observation.

5. SockPuppet

SockPuppet Active Member

Yeah, gee, let's blame the school that gave our son a full ride scholly for OUR shortcomings as parents.

6. podunk press

podunk press Active Member

A good story.

If I had that oil wealth, I certainly wouldn't be playing football.

I'd be not working. Ever. And loving it.

7. boundforboston

boundforboston Well-Known Member

They're also upset with the school because it's profiting greatly off their son (I've heard Johnny Football's season was worth $37 million in publicity) and their son doesn't get anything more than a scholarship that doesn't cover all his expenses.

8. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

The oil money suffices.

Manziel can't get a better deal on the scholarship anywhere else.

Baylor used RGIII's success to help build a new by-the-Brazos stadium.

9. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

The oil money shouldn't have to suffice.

And I'm sure A&M would throw a shit-fit if Manziel refused to do any more publicity for them.

10. boundforboston

boundforboston Well-Known Member

So just because you've inherited a lot of money means it's all right for you son to be exploited by the NCAA and Texas A&M?

11. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

It's a very long story but even 1/18th of the way thru I'm thinking that this is just the opposite pole of the Tim Tebow Story, 5 years later. The Good, Godly and Sanctimonious QB vs. The Young Punky Doucher.

Not sure who said it upthread, about good luck to the next reporter who tries to slip his way into this kind of access, but these stories will continue to be told regardless of institutional permissions because we're still (and probably forever) living in the Reality Me era and kids (and their parents) who crave the spotlight will find the spotlight.

Now, off to read the other 17 parts.

12. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

This was a marriage made in heaven, with the kid and parents who crave the spotlight joining forces with the ESPN reporter who craves it even more. Don't worry if you don't finish the piece this time. It'll be Tweeted out when Manziel throws a touchdown pass in the first half of a Week 14 game in 2019.

Draft saved Draft deleted