1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Trouble with Johnny Football

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Alma, Jul 30, 2013.

1. CarlSpackler

CarlSpackler Active Member

Ha. I loved reading this story, but your line about his neat-o hat is the best thing I've read all day.

2. H.L. Mencken

H.L. Mencken Member

Incredible piece. I think if I were the A&M beat guy I'd cry myself to sleep.

3. SockPuppet

SockPuppet Active Member

Wright Thompson did a great job with this story. It’s obvious to me that the Manziel family needs some heavy duty counseling. Their son’s problems can be traced to an enabling atmosphere. He’s had alcohol and anger management counseling but his parents don’t mind him continuing to be an underage drinker plus his dad witnesses his tantrums and does nothing. Winning a Heisman only affirmed the way the parents deal with their son.

He’s a sophomore to be who needs an ASSISTANT? To handle interviews? The school’s media relations department is charged with doing that. Manziel goes from a freshman off limits to the media to doing media interviews without school clearance. Hell, we all know schools where that’s verboten.

Manziel drives a Benz, gets to live a life of rock star privilege and then he BITCHES about it and the stress that comes with livin' the life? He took on-line classes winter semester because he wanted to avoid all the “attention.” Maybe his bodyguards could have kept the riff raff students off his case. And a family with enough money to never have to worry about money is bitching about A&M is making money because of Manziel’s success.

Train fucking wreck. No sympathy here for Johnny Fucking Football and his Fucking (dysfunctional) Family.

4. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

When a father is his kid's drinking buddy at the age of 20, bad things will happen. Ask any of Mickey Mantle's sons.

5. JC

JC Well-Known Member

If he waits that mythical year to be his drinking partner is everything alright?

Does this hold true in most country's in the world where the drinking age is 18 or 19?

6. Charlie Brown

Charlie Brown Member

Yep. And really, everybody on any high-profile college beat should do the same. Because nobody is going to get that kind of access again for a long time. The proponents of the Belichick-Saban-etc. school will cite this story and say, "See? Nobody gets that close here. Ever. Tell the parents and the players if someone wants to interview them without going through our SID staff to say sorry, but we can't talk with you unless someone from the school sets it up. And if they don't do that, I want to know about it, and there will be hell to pay."

7. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Hey when Lebron James was 19 he had a whole team of advisers. It's all relative.

When black QB's go off the rails it's their posse that gets the blame.

When it's white QB's, it's the parents who did not provide enough boundaries for their kid.

8. champ_kind

champ_kind Well-Known Member

kinda weird that the mom is so religious she freaked about his tattoo, even though it was a bible verse, but the dad has no qualms about the drinking right in front of him.

9. JC

JC Well-Known Member

So now a father should not drink in front of his son?

10. champ_kind

no, the dad quit drinking to set an example, then doesn't say anything about his 20-year-old son drinking right in front of him.

11. champ_kind

and i'm not judging him for it, just seemed odd given the parents' attitude about other things

12. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Sorry, I misread what you wrote.

Draft saved Draft deleted