1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Trouble with Johnny Football

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Alma, Jul 30, 2013.

1. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

That's a great point.

2. Boom_70

Never really thought about it before until Wright Thompson popped up in ESPN
    video as I was reading article but he has a striking resemblance to John Candy.

3. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

Keep Calm and Johnny Dangerously.

4. boundforboston

boundforboston Well-Known Member

But Thompson also had a nearly 10-minute interview on SportsCenter about it and then go on ESPN radio to discuss the story this afternoon. Combined with featured story on the website, that's all three of ESPN's platforms.

5. Boom_70

I honestly did not get the impression that his actions were the result of a spoiled
    upbringing. I guess that you could certainly infer it from his actions.

6. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Will not be surprised when the family responds with an outcry reminiscent of 'The Man. Amen.'

7. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Most importantly, I think that the very existence of this piece by this writer implies that Texas A&M is now a fully acknowledged SEC football school. The Pope has conferred his blessing.

8. Boom_70

But has his college of Cardinals also blessed it?

9. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I think I'm using the wrong analogy. This is the Deep South, not South Bend. How does Billy Graham confer his approval?

10. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

No. It is not sad. This was good work -- better, I'd argue than some of the work you may find more "brilliant."

11. Boom_70

Makes Honey Badger's decision not to speak to ESPN for last year's "SEC"
    player off the rails feature look pretty good.

12. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Agree. The subject matter is always a part of the story. I'm not sure which of the "brilliant" work didn't get the proper forum, but a story with this kind of depth about the biggest name in college football is just inherently much more interesting.

Also, Thompson got a whole 30 for 30 series movie based on his passion, his heritage and his neat-o hat. So I don't think there's much need to worry about his profile there.

Draft saved Draft deleted